Minor Gloat...casters, trim router, Wixey

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pics attached.

The casters are from Great Lakes Casters http://www.greatlakescaster.com/ These are clones of the Zambus CarryMaster casters used a lot on MM bandsaws but could have other uses. Mshel and I bought 8 of these and placed on our MM16 bandsaws. These casters work as advertised. The levelling studs that come with the MM bandsaws fit the caster threads. These casters cost about 10 dollars EACH, versus almost 40 dollars EACH for the Zambus casters.

I also have included pics of the Ryobi trim router which I got for a song from Dino and the Wixey digital angle guage I bought from Jeff's daughter. I have used the trim router a lot this past weekend. It fits the hand well and makes hand held routing with small bits a pure joy! :-D I checked out the Wixey and have found it to be in agreement with my precision square. I believe this guage will be most helpful for bevel cut setup on the TS and angled cuts on the BS (dovetails, etc).

Chuck

Edit In: The Great Lakes casters are rated 220 lbs, versus 300 for the Zambus. This would be a consideration on a HEAVY machine. My MM16 is 500 lbs so no problem. Not sure if they have a 300 lb rated version or not.

Attachments

• zambus clone.JPG
    zambus clone.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 180
  • zambus clone 2.JPG
    zambus clone 2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 181
  • trim router and wixey.JPG
    trim router and wixey.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 175

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice haul Chuck. I also recently purchased the Wixey. I have had occasional problems getting it to zero out. Sometimes it will work ok. Other times not but I can turn it off for a minute and it will usually work then. Have you had any problems with yours?
Thanks for the help
Randy

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nice haul Chuck. I also recently purchased the Wixey. I have had occasional problems getting it to zero out. Sometimes it will work ok. Other times not but I can turn it off for a minute and it will usually work then. Have you had any problems with yours?
Thanks for the help
Randy

I haven't noted any problems but have only used it a few days. I'll admit I'm curious what is used for a reference plane for the device zero or measurement in general. I have noticed that the orientation of the device when zeroed affects the results when it is moved to the blade/fence or whatever you are trying to measure. Usually only 0.1 degree or so.

I don't know that I would trust the Wixey for a cut that requires VERY high accuracy without relying on a test cut but believe it will get me close enough that the "sneak up" time is minimized.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS