Metal duct question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
Okay, I took the plunge and ordered all the material to build my new shop. A 24x28 metal bldg. with a wood floor , 2 roll up doors, 1 man door and 4 windows. I've decided to go with a 2hp Super Dust Gorilla with metal ducting for dust collection.
My question is ,has anyone heard of Duct Inc. in Winston-Salem? They have some good looking duct and it's close by. If not , does anybody have any suggestions? Looking forward to your input.
Thanks,
Rick

T

toolferone

If you found a good local supplier, then I would use them. Just be aware of the radiuses they use. Some are tighter then you might want for dust collection. That being said, you could save lots of $$$,time and headaches by using PVC. I have a 3hp cyclone and I am using 6" S&D(thin wall sewer & drain pipe) PVC. It is very easy to work with, light and cheap. I used a local supplier for the 10' pieces and I used http://www.mcmaster.com/ for all the fittings (much cheaper then my local source). the link below shows some of my system.

http://www.dreamshopwoodworks.com/cyclone.htm

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I went with metal duct using standard HVAC components. I used Y fittings and have very few 90's. In retrospect, I would echo the PVC S&D suggestion because it is easier to work with and also quieter. The only reason I went with metal was the large cost differential in fittings. Pipe was cheaper but the fittings were double. I costed it out both ways and PVC S&D would have run another $250 in my application.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Steve D said:
I went with metal duct using standard HVAC components. I used Y fittings and have very few 90's. In retrospect, I would echo the PVC S&D suggestion because it is easier to work with and also quieter. The only reason I went with metal was the large cost differential in fittings. Pipe was cheaper but the fittings were double. I costed it out both ways and PVC S&D would have run another $250 in my application.
Are you sure about the cost of fittings? Fittings are the killer no matter whether you go with metal or PVC, but the last time I looked S&D was still way cheaper than metal (good metal, not HD). Also, the last time I looked, Sched 40 PVC fittings were about twice the cost of S&D fittings- $10-$12 for an S&D 6" wye compared to $24-$26 for a Sched 40 6" wye.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I recently installed full metal ducting, and I can honestly say, never again. If I was going to go metal, I would break down and buy spiral pipe, otherwise, I would go with s&d. If you are good with sheet metal, more power to you, but I can say that I am not.

As the others said, check the radiuses and the guage of steel if you go with it.

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
I'm a sheet metal fabricator by trade for 35 years so when it came to dust collection PVC didn't even enter my mind. I guess I'll need to get a photo gallery and keep you posted on my progress. Like they say, no pics , it didn,t happen.
I'd also be glad to be of any help I can to anyone who has decided to go with metal ductwork.
Thanks for the input,
Rick

T

toolferone

rherrell said:
I'm a sheet metal fabricator by trade for 35 years so when it came to dust collection PVC didn't even enter my mind.
Rick

Well that clears that up!:rolf: Just remember that you are working with negative pressure. The thin wall 30ga and 28ga snap-lock pipe can collapse on you. Look forward to the pics.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Alan in Little Washington said:
Are you sure about the cost of fittings? Fittings are the killer no matter whether you go with metal or PVC, but the last time I looked S&D was still way cheaper than metal (good metal, not HD). Also, the last time I looked, Sched 40 PVC fittings were about twice the cost of S&D fittings- $10-$12 for an S&D 6" wye compared to $24-$26 for a Sched 40 6" wye.
Yes, I went with standard HVAC 6" Y fittings and they were much cheaper than S&D fittings. I caulked the seams with joint seal and taped the joints. They work perfectly well and don't leak. Being naturally cheap, I also made my floor sweep out of a 6" HVAC register boot. I cut the corners, bent 3 sides to form a flange, made a cutout in the front, screwed it to the floor and viola! a $6 floor sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS