Metal banding

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Making good progress on repairing a blanket chest for a friend. The lid has some metal banding around the two front corners for protection. One of the bands is broken, i.e. does not go all the way around. It's just some thin metal, about 7/8" wide.

Any idea where I can find this? I thought about metal strapping (to hang pipes), but that comes pre-perforated.

metal_banding.jpg

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Making good progress on repairing a blanket chest for a friend. The lid has some metal banding around the two front corners for protection. One of the bands is broken, i.e. does not go all the way around. It's just some thin metal, about 7/8" wide.

Any idea where I can find this? I thought about metal strapping (to hang pipes), but that comes pre-perforated.

View attachment 198601

A roll of Al flashing from your BORG? It’s about a foot wide with a white face and a brown face of about that color.

Cut with snips and draw file the cut edge.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I think I have some aluminum strapping in the shop. If I can find it your welcome to come get some. I think it's a bit over 1 inch wide.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
A roll of Al flashing from your BORG? It’s about a foot wide with a white face and a brown face of about that color.
There is a crew doing a roof not two houses down from here. Let me swing by there tomorrow with my snips and see if I can score a piece! If I buy it at the BORG I'll have 98% leftover :)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think I have some aluminum strapping in the shop. If I can find it your welcome to come get some. I think it's a bit over 1 inch wide.
If I can't get it from the roofing crew here I'll give you a call. Thanks Fred!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
You could take and rip a piece of sheet tin pretty easy. Just turn you blade around backwards. Cuts thin sheet metal like a hot knife through butter.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Go to an architectural sheetmetal fabricator or a sheetmetal shop, they can break you piece for almost nothing

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but steel strapping comes in 3/4" and 1 1/4" and is painted black.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

You should be able t find un-perforated steel strapping pretty easily.

I have a roll of galvanized I plan to use for bending wood..I think it came from Home depot.

-Mark

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
FredP came through, as always. Santa left me all the metal banding I'll need :)

Now, about those sanding elves...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
hard to drill without it cracking though
Where you want to drill, take an eight penny nail, cut the head off, then chuck in drill. Spinning the nail with the drill, will soon soften spot to be drilled. Be sure and NOT TOUCH the nail afterwards till it cools down!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Where you want to drill, take an eight penny nail, cut the head off, then chuck in drill. Spinning the nail with the drill, will soon soften spot to be drilled. Be sure and NOT TOUCH the nail afterwards till it cools down!

Jedi mind trick

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS