Member map!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
This was posted in another thread, but I thought it might deserve a thread of its own. Some people have expressed interest in a map that shows the locations of the members of this group. Well, here is one that uses the Google maps interface:

NCWoodworker user map at frappr

Since it's a Google map, you can zoom in/out all you want, and click & drag on the map to move around, just like you can on any Google map. Anyway, check it out and see how you like it. Also, if anyone has any better ideas, please let us know.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
That's a pretty schweet idea! You rock Insomniac!
rocking.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

cskipper

Cathy
I love the map!:eusa_clap I posted to the wrong thread and can't figure out how to move it. I tried to add DH but didnt' realize his user name is stoneskippers instead of stoneskipper, Is that why he doesn't show up?

Can we change our shoutout?

Monty

New User
Monty
cskipper said:
I love the map!:eusa_clap I posted to the wrong thread and can't figure out how to move it. I tried to add DH but didnt' realize his user name is stoneskippers instead of stoneskipper, Is that why he doesn't show up?

Can we change our shoutout?
I see two entries for Forest City - cskipper & stoneskipper. If you want to change something in your entry, the only way I know how is to delete one entry and add a new entry with the correct information. Since this site does not require people to register or login, the entries can't be edited - otherwise anyone could change anyone else's information. Hope that makes sense.

If you want something deleted, just PM me and I'll do it. If this thing actually catches on (and so far it looks like it will!), or if another better alternative user map program is not available, then I'll let the admins here know the password so they can manage it also.

Monty

New User
Monty
AHHH!!! I think I finally see why you only see one entry for Forest City - at the default zoom level, it just looks like one marker. Remember, you can zoom in and scan around all you want... take a look at this!

screenshot1.jpg

:cool:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That is really cool. It is the first map that I've seen that actually shows my road. I tried to get my marker at the right place but it has me out in the middle of nowhere many miles from my house. How do you determine where your marker goes? And if you can have control over it, please delete my error and I will try to get closer to where I actually am. Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
This thing just goes by your zip code, and is not meant to be that precise. Just knowing what part of the state people are in, or near what city, is helpful - at least I think so.

Like I said, there may be a better map out there - if so, we may want to try it! I just like the way Google maps works (zoom & pan, satellite images, etc...), so that's why I like this one.

By the way, if you haven't discovered this yet, move the map over your house & hit the "Satellite" or "Hybrid" button! This doesn't work for all zoom levels in all areas, but it's still pretty cool! :cool:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's cool, I guess it's a good thing that everyone on the net doesn't know exactly where I live. But I did use the satellite function and found my house, in amoungst the trees. Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
This is great idea, thanks.

Wow! I just walked out in the front yard after I posted my location on the map and now I have a big red flag with a black dot in the center stuck in my lawn......how do they do that?:eusa_thin

DL

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:
D L Ames said:
This is great idea, thanks.

Wow! I just walked out in the front yard after I posted my location on the map and now I have a big red flag with a black dot in the center stuck in my lawn......how do they do that?:eusa_thin

DL

fivestring

New User
Gary
Monty, this map would prolly be more accurate.

Lotta clown over there :mrgreen:

It was showing Reck in Canada :rolf: :mrgreen:

Gary

Monty

New User
Monty
Yea I think you're right about that! I just checked back and we're finally starting to get some more markers in our area.... I was beginning to think maybe you hadn't been showering... :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS