Member Levels and Eligibility to Vote

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Corporate members are now participating in board elections. Our bylaws restrict voting privileges to Corporate Members. For those not versed in our membership levels, there is some consternation over what the member levels and how to "promote". Here is a brief synopsis:
  1. Guest – any person that visits the website as a guest for reading purposes. Visitors are generally only allowed read access to the site and that access may be further limited as appropriate.
  2. New User – any person that has completed the website registration process, received approval by the Webmaster, and had their email address confirmed. The New User is in fact a probationary user. Their status may be removed by the Webmaster or the Webmaster's duly appointed representative(s), usually but limited to reasons that pertain to continued and/or major violations of policy. The usual causes of such a removal would be behaviors commonly known in the internet community as "spamming" or "trolling".
  3. User – This is a user who has has no major restrictions on their usage of the site. This is the "normal" user.
  4. Senior User – This user is a person who has been earned a degree of trust in our community and therefore has earned the right to take on certain leadership positions, such as leading discussions and organizing special interest groups.
  5. Corporate Member – A Senior User may become a Corporate Member (a voting member of North Carolina Woodworker, Inc.) by maintaining all qualifications of a Senior User and by providing their full legal name, street address, regularly monitored email address and phone number on the NCWW Info page. In addition, they must explicitly “Opt-in” to become a Corporate Member and have paid any dues required by the Board of Directors.
Member levels are based on a level of trust and time and grade. The corporate membership is different as you give up a certain level of autonomy in that you share your name, contact info, and location. With this you have a voice in our direction by way of voting rights in this organization and can run for a board position. Once you reach Senior User level and decide you want a voice (read vote) in the selection of the board you must opt in by choosing Corporate Member in your profile under Preferences.

Last edited:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Corporate Member – A Senior User may become a Corporate Member (a voting member of North Carolina Woodworker, Inc.) by maintaining all qualifications of a Senior User and by providing their full legal name, street address, regularly monitored email address and phone number on the NCWW Info page. In addition, they must explicitly “Opt-in” to become a Corporate Member and have paid any dues required by the Board of Directors.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I have been a member for many years (2006) and have over 3000 posts and yet my status says New User. Why is this?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some members may not know the history of the Corporate Member status; In order to be eligible for the IRS' 501c3 nonprofit status, NCWW is required to have a valid list of this information for all voting members. Uncle Sam doesn't want Uncle Ivan or Uncle XI utilizing this status to function under the radar in our country. Probably also has some RICOA ramifications in it too. It created quite a stir when it was initiated, but after what everything we've been through over the past few years, it's just 'another day in paradise'.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I sit here contemplating my time with this community this morning. We have an opportunity like no other.
Aside from fundraising activities and asking for donations for workshops, we are a no cost provider to the user community. We sell ad space to our sponsors and advertisers. Up until recently we raised some additional funds through Amazon smile. This revenue stream is now gone.
To continue operating this website and its activities we have to raise funds through donations, raffles, and advertising. We do not charge dues, and historically we have not. We do not spam you with emails asking for money, or filled with advertising. For a community of our registered membership numbering over 12,000 we are as big as some sites that charge over a $100.00 per year that has an international presence. We have a large collective of talent and skill primary in a regional area encompassing a few states. We are truly blessed with this community.
We are raising funds slowly to start endowments with in the state and further education in woodworking. To me this is a legacy project for the entire community. We have the numbers to raise said funds.
We want to develop our social media further and utilize its power to inform, educate, and share the skills and talents of our community.
We currently are working on updating and improving our main site to make access to articles, resources, and needed information better for our members.
We do these activities as volunteers. We do these activities because we care and want to see this community succeed.
As a corporate member you have the ability to help guide our success and this community’s future. So if you haven’t opted in and would like to participate in the future of this community then please do. If would like to run for a board position and be a part of this community’s leadership then please step up. We are a community of volunteers of all skill levels.
I would like to thank you for reading this rambling post and for your consideration in this mater.
With my deepest regards thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Corporate members are now participating in board elections. Our bylaws restrict voting privileges to Corporate Members. For those not versed in our membership levels, there is some consternation over what the member levels and how to "promote". Here is a brief synopsis:
  1. Guest – any person that visits the website as a guest for reading purposes. Visitors are generally only allowed read access to the site and that access may be further limited as appropriate.
  2. New User – any person that has completed the website registration process, received approval by the Webmaster, and had their email address confirmed. The New User is in fact a probationary user. Their status may be removed by the Webmaster or the Webmaster's duly appointed representative(s), usually but limited to reasons that pertain to continued and/or major violations of policy. The usual causes of such a removal would be behaviors commonly known in the internet community as "spamming" or "trolling".
  3. User – This is a user who has has no major restrictions on their usage of the site. This is the "normal" user.
  4. Senior User – This user is a person who has been earned a degree of trust in our community and therefore has earned the right to take on certain leadership positions, such as leading discussions and organizing special interest groups.
  5. Corporate Member – A Senior User may become a Corporate Member (a voting member of North Carolina Woodworker, Inc.) by maintaining all qualifications of a Senior User and by providing their full legal name, street address, regularly monitored email address and phone number on the NCWW Info page. In addition, they must explicitly “Opt-in” to become a Corporate Member and have paid any dues required by the Board of Directors.
Member levels are based on a level of trust and time and grade. The corporate membership is different as you give up a certain level of autonomy in that you share your name, contact info, and location. With this you have a voice in our direction by way of voting rights in this organization and can run for a board position. Once you reach Senior User level and decide you want a voice (read vote) in the selection of the board you must opt in by choosing Corporate Member in your profile under Preferences.
I have been a member since 2008, I read through those requirements for corperate member status and believe I meet them all for quite some time. However, I am listed as Member. If memory serves me (and not so well at times) I was listed as a Corperate member at some point. Not a big deal as I lurk mostly but try and contribute when I feel appropriate. Thanks

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Robb, the banner beside your name shows corporate member, you are good sir.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not a big deal as I lurk mostly but try and contribute when I feel appropriate
Robb, if you do not login at least once every 30 days, your status goes back to New User. After logging in that one time, your member status reverts to the earned status when an automated script runs after midnight each day.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS