Measuring tools???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I have a budget of $200 to buy measuring tools for my shop. I need a quality square, straight edge, dial indicator, etc. (replacing all my BORG crapola). I need recommendations!

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Hartville tool has 15% off all marking and measuring tools now with free shipping over $75. They also have the GR 200 GRR-RIPPER on sale for $59.96

I just bought my first mortising and marking gauge last week from them.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/

Have fun!
Amy

Nativespec

New User
David
I like the cabinet maker rules when they are on sale at Woodcraft. The Groz 3 pack of squares are priced nice and work well. For a bigger square I have a large aluminum speed square from Lowes-it is a handy tool. I also have a Stanley "Fat Max" 4" level that I use at times for a straight edge, but I normaly just use the cabinet ruels (6", 12" 24" and 48"-about $20 on sale).

My favorite measuring tool is the digital caliper with the fractional readout. It sells for $30 to $40.

Thanks,

David

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Here are two of my favorites. The first is a caliper that reads in *FRACTIONAL INCHES* and goes from 1/64" to 6". It is really handy and EASY to read. The other is a little more specialized. It is a radius gauge set used to measure circle arcs (for moulding and such). Lastly, but not pictured, is my inexpensive surface plate used for measuring flatness of plane soles.
IMAG0421.jpg

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Geoff, using "machinist quality" tools are a real plus in the woodshop. Ditto the previous recommendations about Starret, Brown and Sharp, Mitutoya, etc.

Other "good quality" machinist brands are Central (US made - not to be confused with the "Central Freight" brand of tools), General, etc.

In addition to Enco, J&L Industrial Supply sells high quality machinists tools at good prices. I've found that J&L's quality is usually a level above Enco's.

In addition to a high quality square, the measureing tool that I use the most in the woodshop is a 24" flat steel rule, that has inch measurements on one side (1/8" and 1/32" scales), and metric on the other (mm and cm). I really like this rule as it's quick, easy, and with today's multiple references to metric or english, it's an "all in one" solution. It's made from flat ground stainless steel, so it doubles as a straight edge (as long as I'm careful how I store it).

Dial calipers are great - for woodworking you don't need Starrett (although they are nice).

A set of machinist squares (various sizes) are also handy.

Good luck with your acquisitions!

Scott

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
My first real quality tool purchase was a Starrett tri-square. That was over twenty years ago and it it is still my most favorite and valued tool. In addition to the 12" size , I have added both a 6" and a 24". A good quality machinist square would be the first measuring tool I would buy. Does not have to be a Starrett and the are many very high quality ones that are less expevsive. Check on Ebay .

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
A Starret inside read folding rule with 6" brass extension. Hartville has them, the inside reads are kinda hard to find.
ken

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
FYI, I'm not sure J & L is still in Charlotte. I use to work down the street from them and a few years ago they shut down. They could have just moved to another local and I'm not aware of it. If someone finds out thery are still around I'd be interested in knowing where they are.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS