Measuring angles

Scott H

Scott
User
@mdbuntyn Is this what you are referring to?

Attachments

• IMG_8614.jpg
    IMG_8614.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 35
Pop-Pop:

As others have said, it depends on what is being measured. During my working life, I was partial to the True-Angle tools, owning both the 4" protractor and the 24" leg model. The larger one works well for layout and large measurement, as well as determining how straight the leg of a particular angle is, and the smaller one works well for drawings and small parts. Probably as accurate as anything for woodworking.

True Angle Large.jpg
True Angle Small.jpg

Angles for Crown Molding: Cutting Crown Molding Angles Perfectly!
True Angle Tools

Hoping you find your true angle in life.
Tone

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This has been a helpful discussion. The first new thingy that I am going to try is one of those yellow General protractors.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
My question to you pop-pop is that you are show an example of what appears to be a plow plane blade. So are you asking for in general use or fo that particular tool. The reason I ask is when I sharpen tools such as plane blades, chisels and alike, when it comes angles a degree or two one way or the other is negligible to the performance of the tool. I know folks do things differently and this has been helpful in seeing a wide verity of for the most part reasonable priced products to make our life easier and hopefully more accurate. So how accurate do we have to be?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
My question to you pop-pop is that you are show an example of what appears to be a plow plane blade. So are you asking for in general use or fo that particular tool. The reason I ask is when I sharpen tools such as plane blades, chisels and alike, when it comes angles a degree or two one way or the other is negligible to the performance of the tool. I know folks do things differently and this has been helpful in seeing a wide verity of for the most part reasonable priced products to make our life easier and hopefully more accurate. So how accurate do we have to be?
Asking in general and that was just an example at hand. Agree on your point though and the Inch or so long “back” was sharpened to be flat regardless of its angle.

I needed this angle to figure out the angle of a skate that will nest under it. Hope to report on that project soon.
IMG_0004.jpeg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Hmerkle Sorry, I am being unclear, maybe this is a better illustration of what I'm referring to. I am sure you have used these plenty so I am probably just communicating poorly.

If you have an angle of say 25+ degrees there is the angle formed by the two pieces you can stick something into, so either you set the gauge by closing it on the item and reading, or set it to a reading and look for daylight. When the angle is too small that gap closes up and the best you can do is what I have in the 2nd picture (10 degree angle) which doesn't feel anywhere near as positive/accurate of a reading, compared to things mechanically touching or seeing daylight through a gauge. It's fine for getting kinda close though.
Thanks Scott - I didn't go out and look (like I should have) so I didn't realize the angle gap on the acute side went to ZERO! that is just stupid!
The base plate or arm should have been relieved to allow a direct measurement!

1704384788378.png

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think the best answer (for a direct measurement reading) is @Mike Davis 's solution of a (Starrett or competitive brand) universal bevel gage.
But again, you may be paying for precision that may or may not be "required". Even used those can be VERY spendy!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think the best answer (for a direct measurement reading) is @Mike Davis 's solution of a (Starrett or competitive brand) universal bevel gage.
But again, you may be paying for precision that may or may not be "required". Even used those can be VERY spendy!
I searched for over ten years to find mine at a price I could justify. It is an older version but in nearly perfect condition.
There are other brands that may be nearly the same precision for much less. (Asian made)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors