Measuring and marking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I agree with Mark, and try to avoid measuring if at all possible. Story sticks can be really helpful, and avoid the errors built into repeated measurements. Transferring points directly from piece to piece is preferable to transferring a measurement with a ruler or tape if at all possible.

That being said, measuring is still necessary. I have a 12" Starret combination square, a small 4" square, a saddle square, and 6", 12", and 24" steel rules all from Lee Valley. I've been very happy with their quality and price. The flat tape measures that Fastcap makes are excellent, and much better for the type of work that I do compared to the typical steel rule used in construction. Another useful tool is a good pair of steel dividers for transferring a distance repeatedly.

I'm intrigued by Ernie's approach. If it worked thousands of years ago, no reason why it won't work today!

Matt

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sent a rookie carpenter to measure a piece of molding in a gable. He came back & said, "The length of this stick, my hammer handle, & up to my elbow on my left arm." How's that for accurate?
In the shop I lean towards a framing square or 'big bird' 12" triangle square. Tape only needs to be a 12'. Anything else in the shop is excess baggage.
One co worker asked me if I got my tape outa my mom's sewing basket.:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS