Material suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
RE: Pistol rack for safe

Hello all.

I'm thinking about making one of these for my safe. I'd like to get some suggestions on the soft material the pistol will come in contact with. My first thought is some sort of pipe insulation, but I have not checked any of that out yet and I don't know how well it will conform to the shape I need.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Gunrack.jpg

That sounds like a great idea! Does the felt actually come with a sticky back or would I need to use some spray adhesive?

Thanks again,
Bill

I got some at micheals in dark brown that already had sticky.... It was like 2 or 3 bucks for a sheet ... I would think you might find it in the wal-mart craft department also

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't know how it would effect the finish on the metal parts as far as long-term contact but sheets of PSA Cork might be an option.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll be sure to post some pics if I ever get around to making it. :)

DaveD

New User
Dave
You could also use the smooth piece of hook/loop velcro. I don't remember offhand which is the smooth one (hook or loop?). You can get it with adhesive backing in varying widths. EBAY has all kinds of it. That's where I get it in quantity. It typically comes with both sides though so you would throw half away. Still pretty cheap.

As a side note..... I use the velcro straps for just about everything that needs to be 'velcroed together' Stick the the two together with their adhesive and they will never come apart. Make them as long as you want to too.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
You could also go with leather.

The leather I like, but my experiences with these has been that pine, basswood, poplar, spruce, or other softwood alone makes a good rack. The problem with handgun racks is the varied profiles, widths, lengths, etc., that one finds in a collection. There is no one size fits all type slot unless its one size that's a little oversized for all. Collections are generally evolve from one type to another, so what works today, may not work in two years.

About the only exception would be if you were working bullseye targets with a 3-gun set, then those would all be about the same size.

Do the best you can for the time being.

I've done felt, sticky back foam insulation (1/8" closed cell from MSC), and several other types. They all worked for a while, but that sticky back is short lived and begins to peel over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors