March Special Guest Speaker will be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Scott Meek has agreed to join us on March 20 at 8:00 pm. Scott is currently a member of NCWW who lives in Asheville. He is a full time artisan plane maker and furniture maker. He has been crafting wood bodied planes for 5 years. Before that, he was a custom cabinet maker and trim carpenter, having grown up on residential construction sites while going to work with his dad, who is a general contractor. He is lucky enough to be able to work from his home shop on a daily basis doing what he loves to do, and he wouldn't trade it for anything.

Scott is also the craftsman who made the 35th anniversary plane for Highland Woodworking http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/scott-meek-woodworks-premium-smoothing-plane.aspx

Scott's website is http://www.scottmeekwoodworks.com/

I hope you will be able to join us for this chat.

Steve H.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Everyone-
Don't forget to update you Java BEFORE the chat.

I just had to do mine and it is updated automatically, but there must have been a recent update

As Ethan mentioned in a recent post;
Go to www.java.com. to check for your update.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
BUMP! Don't forget to update your Java BEFORE the chat. Go to www.java.com. to check for your update.

Scott Meek has agreed to join us on March 20 at 8:00 pm. Scott is currently a member of NCWW who lives in Asheville. He is a full time artisan plane maker and furniture maker. He has been crafting wood bodied planes for 5 years. Before that, he was a custom cabinet maker and trim carpenter, having grown up on residential construction sites while going to work with his dad, who is a general contractor. He is lucky enough to be able to work from his home shop on a daily basis doing what he loves to do, and he wouldn't trade it for anything.

Scott is also the craftsman who made the 35th anniversary plane for Highland Woodworkinghttp://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...ing-plane.aspx

Scott's website is http://www.scottmeekwoodworks.com/

I hope you will be able to join us for this chat.

Steve H.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I will be out of town on Thursday and I may not be able to join the chat. Hank has agreed to be the host. He has a much better sense of humor. Scott will be an interesting speaker and I regret that I will miss it. I hope there is a large turnout.

Steve H.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
As long as Steve has "Set-me-up..."

Since Scott is in the area (my area NCWW-WEST!)

I am atually going to visit him and PLAN to do a "LIVE" chat...

Not really sure how different that is when it is text based, but I am hopeful it will be interesting...

I may try something else (Skype, Google hangout etc.) but I have not prepared, so it will definately be a last-minute kind of thing and additionally based on bandwidth available...

See y'all Thursday!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
HEY everybody come an join us in the chat room - let's talk to Scott Meeks!

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I'm sorry I missed it. I hope it was good. I was trying to make this one but good ole' life is throwing the trash off of the pitchers mound.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was a lot of fun Zach!

We went a little "off the reservation" becasue there was only a handful of us... (I don't relish Ethan's transcription job! ha ha)

but if you get a chance have a look - Mike Davis is trying to get Scott to do a plane build group!

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I would definitely love to learn how to do that, shame I can't attend. Even if I were to visit, my mom and dad would have a fit if I spent the days in someone else's workshop.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here are a few pictures I wanted to share from what I call a "Live Chat"

DSCN1513.JPG

Scott Meek during the March "Plane Chat"
DSCN1512.JPG

The only thing better than talking about woodworking is seeing it first hand and having GREAT refreshments! Also Check out that Rosewood and Blackwood plane - TOO COOL!

DSCN1514.JPG

So I got to looking at it and saw why Scott is so successful - it is all about the Yin and Yang! LOL

DSCN1515.JPG

DSCN1516.JPG

More photos of two VERY cool planes

DSCN15181.JPG

The "SUPER-COOL" Mike Davis top

DSCN15191.JPG

And to end the evening - the top in action!
Well, I also got to play with a number of extremely cool hand-made wooden planes!
...and really thought hard about getting one!

Scott Meek

New User
Scott
Thanks Hank for officiating the chat and bringing the great beer! I've been craving another 1 or 6 of those Vanilla Porters ever since!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Hank for officiating the chat and bringing the great beer! I've been craving another 1 or 6 of those Vanilla Porters ever since!

The pleasure was all mine!

There are things that happen and you know will make a lasting impression...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS