Maple Tree being cut down by city. Is any of this salvagable? (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Hi,
An old twisty but large maple tree is due to be cut down by the City of Raleigh 'soon'. I'd love to see it's wood used by woodworkers. I'll likely grab some branches for carving, as I don't have any means to mill logs, but I thought I'd put this out there for anyone else whose interested. How does one go about finding out when these will be cut down? Do they every work our arrangements with sawyers? Thanks. Tree is on Cutler St. in the Boylan Heights neighborhood.

Dan

ps. Sorry for the neck pain. I can't seem to make the pics stand up!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    854.7 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    852.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    670 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    691.8 KB · Views: 320

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
You would need to talk to the Arborists in the Parks Dept. They will generally cut trees in the parks and right of way. start there. Most often the trees they cut are not very useful for lumber.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't think that a sawyer would want to touch that tree. Many old "yard" trees have hidden metal from years ago and Boylan Heights began in the very early 20th century. The tree appears to be a red maple (Acer rubrum) and that twisty and gnarly growth suggests that the tree has been under a lot of stress over the years. There's a nasty damaged (perhaps rotting) area in pic #3.

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I think that I’d take a “pass” on any logs from that tree. Too much stress and probably a lot of metal, not to mention the voids.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm pretty sure if you ask when they are getting set up I'm sure heh will let you grab a couple of the cutoffs. Just let them know what you're interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS