Maple tear-out repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
How can I repair a large tear-out on the face of a maple board?

When I ran the board through my planer, it ripped a rather large chunk out of the face of one of the boards. The chunk is probable the size of a nickel and it's about 3/16" deep. I don't have any more material so I can't just make another part. I can position the piece so that it's less visible but it will be seen.

I'm hoping for a repair option that will be more or less invisible, not to mention something that a hack such as myself can perform.

Can I fill it with clear epoxy, then stain and finish?

striker

New User
Stephen
The latest issue of FWW has an article on that very problem. In a nutshell, they suggest routing out the area in a diamond shape with no sides running crossgrain. Then cut a diamond shaped plug out of the same material -finding a bland piece without grain lines. Then, install &level the plug and add matching grain lines.

Good Luck, Stephen

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
How can I repair a large tear-out on the face of a maple board?

Can I fill it with clear epoxy, then stain and finish?

Mat-------I use clear epoxy quite often, it works good for me.

If you are going to stain, I would apply a little stain in the area to be patched, let it dry and then make the epoxy patch over it. When the epoxy is set, level it down, and sand along with the rest of the board. Then you are ready to stain the whole board and finish it.

Jerry

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Mat-------I use clear epoxy quite often, it works good for me.

If you are going to stain, I would apply a little stain in the area to be patched, let it dry and then make the epoxy patch over it. When the epoxy is set, level it down, and sand along with the rest of the board. Then you are ready to stain the whole board and finish it.

Jerry

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors