Mantle Finally Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
This project started 5 months and today finally came to its conclusion. The end result is a very happy misses along with a very relieved me. It started with the misses wanting a solid beam mantle like no one else has for her new rock wall fireplace. I think we succeeded.

The mantle is cherry that was recovered from a barn that was being torn down and measured 11 ft by 16 in 4 1/2 in thick, see this thread. Using a draw knife to shape the front and hand planes to shape the top and bottom it was shaped mostly hand tools. I must add that there was some good instruction from Mike Davis at a workshop last year and good input from other members here. I wish I could say no power tools were harmed, but I was not going to try and rip a 4 1/2 in thick board with a short handsaw. It was finished with Waterlox original and I gave it a rubdown with steel wool and wax this morning.

Mantle_045ae.jpg

This pic at it's final resting place

Mantle_080e.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That looks great! My wife has been pushing to get one over our wood stove, I have some maple but don't know how to mount it to the wall. Yours looks so clean and simple, but I bet there's a lot more going on that can't be seen.

Bryan S

Bryan
Mike I wish I had taken pics of that process, but I did not and the mounting is simple. Before the brick mason applied mortar for the stone he drilled into the existing brick fireplace and and inserted 4 pieces of 5/8 in threaded rods to act as dowels. The tricky part was making a jig that would allow me to accurately drill holes into the back of the mantle. Along with aligning the holes with the dowels, It had to hold the right angle and keep a long drill bit straight. The jig worked so well it was a breeze to set it in place.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I really like the clean look of this mantle. It contrasts nicely with the darker brick. Good design Bryan.

MagGeorge

New User
George
Your mantle looks fantastic and well installed on that brick wall. The beam has nice grain patterns and colors and like the natural finish. Great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS