Managing Shop Clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvey314

New User
harvey
If your shop sometimes (or all the time) reaches a point where you can't do anything without first removing all the hand tools, glue, paint or stain containers, scraps of wood, and other small items which may clutter your horizontal work surfaces, consider this as a simple and time saving way to minimize this problem:

Buy, build, or beg several trays that you can put on your work bench(s). By placing the would-be clutter on these trays, when you need a clear workspace, just move the trays, rather than having to pick up each and every little item. My better half gave me some used retangular cookie sheets, which work quite well for this. Discarded cafeteria trays or those custom made of 1/4" plywood can serve just as well. I built a wall rack that I can slide my trays into when I need to free up space on top of my work bench. This keeps the tools, etc. close at hand but out of the way.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great idea Harvey! I too have the problem of too much junk on my bench and saw tables. If I steal some of LOML's cookie sheets, I'll tell her you said it was ok.:D

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Over the years I have found to replace a tool back into its storage space immediately after using it. Even if I will need it again a little later. Sometimes I still slip slightly into clutter mode, but if I don't remedy the situation fast, my shop starts depressing the mood.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have been trying to build that habit of returning the tools to their place. It's a lot harder when someone else shares the shop space.

TBradley190

New User
Tim
I use the "10" rule. I even have a big 10 on the back of my shop door to remind me to find 10 things, tools, screws, pieces of scrap, etc, and put them back in their place before I leave the shop. This has helped me tremendously keep the clutter down to a minimum. But, it's just like any other ritual...you have to do it over before it becomes habit.

Tim

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
What??? You mean there is a way to manage shop clutter? I thought death, taxes and shop clutter were the only three certainties in life!
I'm trying to upgrade lights in my shop, and the clutter is so bad I can barely walk around in there; but don't worry the lighting is so bad that I can't see all the clutter, so I 'm not bothered!

Henry

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
:rotflm:

What??? You mean there is a way to manage shop clutter? I thought death, taxes and shop clutter were the only three certainties in life!
I'm trying to upgrade lights in my shop, and the clutter is so bad I can barely walk around in there; but don't worry the lighting is so bad that I can't see all the clutter, so I 'm not bothered!

Henry

taylor21

New User
jimmy
Shop clutter is very important for furniture making and its decoration. It is very important process and should be furnished carefully with some artwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS