Man From The North

LeFevre Wood Craft

New User
Jay
Raised in upstate NY (North East corner). Been in NC about 30 yrs. Over two decades in local government public relations (LEO) and about same amount of time as Southern Baptist Preacher. Like many others, I have been involved in wood crafting from a very young age. But now at 50 I feel like a kid again as I build out a workshop and share my unique creations. Who knew finding the right local sawmill would be better than anything big-box stores sell for lumber. Who knew having bandsaws, jointer, planner, and even Festool tools would make a difference. I surely didn't before, but the investments have been well worth it so far. Though I could turn out nice work on my vintage pin-blade craftsman scroll saw, the Pegas saw I recently purchased is like another world level of refinement and operation. Yet the greatest enjoyment has been connecting with other like minded makers, the community of craftspeople of all ages and experience has been almost as grand as the countless hours I spend making wood chips and sawdust. My son (now 23) took to calling me "Man From The North", so thread title is homage to him, a proud father honored to have raised a great son. I look forward to this community of like minded enthusiasts, to learn and grow. My thought on wood craft, "The item or image made into the wood only becomes the frame showcasing the beauty of the wood itself".

John Britton

John
User
Raised in upstate NY (North East corner). Been in NC about 30 yrs. Over two decades in local government public relations (LEO) and about same amount of time as Southern Baptist Preacher. Like many others, I have been involved in wood crafting from a very young age. But now at 50 I feel like a kid again as I build out a workshop and share my unique creations. Who knew finding the right local sawmill would be better than anything big-box stores sell for lumber. Who knew having bandsaws, jointer, planner, and even Festool tools would make a difference. I surely didn't before, but the investments have been well worth it so far. Though I could turn out nice work on my vintage pin-blade craftsman scroll saw, the Pegas saw I recently purchased is like another world level of refinement and operation. Yet the greatest enjoyment has been connecting with other like minded makers, the community of craftspeople of all ages and experience has been almost as grand as the countless hours I spend making wood chips and sawdust. My son (now 23) took to calling me "Man From The North", so thread title is homage to him, a proud father honored to have raised a great son. I look forward to this community of like minded enthusiasts, to learn and grow. My thought on wood craft, "The item or image made into the wood only becomes the frame showcasing the beauty of the wood itself".
Welcome Jay,
I too am a born & raised NewYorker...upstate Syracuse & Rochester. I liked your last sentence. All of my woodworking has been to showcase God's marvelous creation, wood.
John

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum Jay -- I was born and raised in NY (the Rochester area) as well. Settled in NC in the mid-80's with the past 20 in the mountains of western NC. I loved your intro to the group and concur with your love of the heart of our craft, the beauty of wood.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Thanks. Just outside Mount Airy (closer to Dobson), which is North of Winston-Salem, County is Surry and boarders VA.
I know the area. I used to be the Marine recruiter in several counties to your west in the early 90s and took a kid to traffic court there. My mother in law live in King to your south and daughter is just outside Winston. Nice area but colder than here in shelby.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome, As someone who spent a couple of years in Syracuse you are going to really appreciate the NC weather December - March and the NY weather in June - September.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Jay. Grew up in Poughkeepsie and went to college in Plattsburgh. Been in NC since 1993. I live on the NC/VA boarder at Lake Gaston.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS