making walnut stain

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Hello I have not posted for a while but had a question. I have access to some black walnut trees I have been gathering to crack this winter. I was wondering if anyone had any use for the hulls to make stain. Any thoughts or inquiries are welcome.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, I have access to many Walnut hulls as well so I don't personally "need" them but I did think you and others may be interested in learning a few uses for them.........just in case.

http://www.organicnutrition.co.uk/products/indherbs/herb-blackwalnut.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/208746-uses-of-black-walnut-hull-tincture/

Now, if you really have a case of boredom and wanna make a few bucks in the process, shelled and cleaned walnut meats go for over $12.00 per pound in most areas. :eek:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Hello I have not posted for a while but had a question. I have access to some black walnut trees I have been gathering to crack this winter. I was wondering if anyone had any use for the hulls to make stain. Any thoughts or inquiries are welcome.

Yes I have used shells to make dyes. I would make a few arrangements if you would like to see how it works. When you make the dye solution, make a very concentrated solution. Later you can dilute the mix.

Quick story: I put about 5lbs of walnut shells(nut and husk) after they dried for a while in a large iron pot and boiled the husks for a long time. The water in the pot just covered the shells. After a while the water was a deep brown. I took the iron pot off of the fire to let it cool. After it cooled down a bit, my father in law said lets go get a beer. As we walked away 2 squirrels made a move toward the pot. OK. We put a piece of 1/2" plywood on top of the pot and went inside for a beer. When we came out the driveway was covered with brown tracks from the squirrels that got in the mix and ran off. Yep they got together and knocked that piece of ply that was covering the pot completely off and got in there. Nature.

I like to make two dyes with walnut shells(after all they are free). I make one water based and another alcohol based. You don't need a gallon of this stuff. It can go a long way.

In my case, I made a ton knowing that I would take the bulk of it to the ladies at Old Salem Museum so they could use it to dye their wool yarn. They do the same thing out behind the Single Brothers House. I think they used it up but they may have tossed it when it got old if it was used promptly.

Thoughts:
With anniline dyes as good as they are today(Lockwood), I just don't feel like going to the trouble of making my own. It was fun to do a couple times but it lost its magic after that. The colors are very similar if not the same as the commercial dyes. When I used the dyes on my rifles or furniture I still had to use yellows, reds and greens to get the base coat that I like. Its fun to do in the Fall when things cool down and the nuts are piled up in a box. I like to get it going when I do all my steambending for the Winter. I spend a day out behind the house bending my Windsor Chair parts and boil up some dye.
sack_together.jpg

View image in gallery

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I made a dip for baskets out of walnuts (in the hulls) stuffed into 3 old pairs of pantyhose and suspended in a large plastic trashcan 3/4 full of water. It took a few weeks and makes a scum you have to strain off but it lasts forever. I see no reason you couldn't do this and concentrate it by letting it evaporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS