Making Handwheel for Minimill

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have a Grizzly 8689 minimill… I would like to upgrade the 2 handwheels. This is not a necessity …I saw some handwheels on sale but the price was still not good enough for me to want to get them . With shipping $95.80 with shipping /taxes.

So I’m just thinking about making a couple. I don’t have a metal lathe….I do have a wood lathe. This is just one of those thoughts. They would just be better than the plastic ones on it now. Purely cosmetic idea! TIA!!!

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
So I’m just thinking about making a couple. I don’t have a metal lathe….I do have a wood lathe. This is just one of those thoughts. They would just be better than the plastic ones on it now. Purely cosmetic idea! TIA!!!
Turn a handwheel and add a knob like this: (post 54)

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Turn a handwheel and add a knob like this: (post 54)

That will work!

tghsmith

tghs
User
it's too bad that the replacement handwheels cost like they do,, I searched other sources for a while and finally bought them when they went on sale a few years back,, they are more than cosmetic as the solid feel is a great improvement over the stock wheels,, I did think doing up a brass bushing and plate soldered up and then adding burl wood to the rim,, I would add a metal center hub to any wood handle..

tghsmith

tghs
User
you also have to realize that these handwheels are much more complex than a knob! you have a keyway shaft hole, and a step for the measurement ring with a groove.. (haven't looked at the rings in years since I added the Igaging DRO's) I did turn and mill a spacer to adapt one of the wheel to the Z axis control, much better than the stock little knob that comes on these mills..

Attachments

• IMGP0065.JPG
    IMGP0065.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
  • IMGP0066.JPG
    IMGP0066.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMGP0034.JPG
    IMGP0034.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 60

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but a Google search for "handwheel" brings up a lot of options.

Charley

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors