making dowels

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Anyone have a tried and true way of making their own dowels? I have a need for 5/16" dowels and watched a few utube videos but am skeptical as to what is the best way.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
I make my own dowels, I use a Lie-Nielsen dowel plate. The reason I make my own, is I rive the stock so it is straight grained, for use with a drawbored mortise and tendon joint.

Understand, it’s pretty impossible to make a dowel longer than 10 - 12 inches using a dowel plate, at least in my experience.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dowel plates have been used for hundreds of years. They are just a piece of flat steel with a hole drilled in it the size of the desired dowel.

Reactions: jcz

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Anyone have a tried and true way of making their own dowels? I have a need for 5/16" dowels and watched a few utube videos but am skeptical as to what is the best way.

how many do you need to make and or how often do you need to make them?
How long do you need to make them?
Will they "Show" or are they simply for structure?

There are various methods based on your needs.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Dowels need to be 8-9" long. I use them as the striker part for my turkey calls. So they will be see and handled. I have been buying them from a supplier but would like to make them as the ones I buy still need sanding to get to my liking.
I had previously seen top 2 videos. I tried a quick version of the old school video. It didn't turn out to good.
That is why I came here to ask how y'all did it.
I'll watch the 3rd video now. Got side tracked on utube watching wood turning. Lost 3 hours of my evening already. LOL

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I make my own dowels, I use a Lie-Nielsen dowel plate. The reason I make my own, is I rive the stock so it is straight grained, for use with a drawbored mortise and tendon joint.

Understand, it’s pretty impossible to make a dowel longer than 10 - 12 inches using a dowel plate, at least in my experience.
I had never heard of a dowel plate before. Just checked Lie-Nielsen’s website and I think I found my next tool purchase when they are back in stock…

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I tried a quick version of the old school video. It didn't turn out to good.
I have not done it, only on the lathe...
But now I am curious, what "didn't turn out good" with this technique?

I think you can do the izzy swan version for 8", but I think you will struggle trying to "punch / push a dowel through a dowel plate... JMHO

Drilling / spinning the dowel through the plate will likely have better results...

Remember you want to use nice, strait grained wood for this and if you can get green and or air dried wood it is better...

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had never heard of a dowel plate before. Just checked Lie-Nielsen’s website and I think I found my next tool purchase when they are back in stock…
I the one from DFM Toolworks that you can see in the second video that Hank posted

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I think I had too large of a gap on top and the end of my dowel kept jumping out of the slot and my chisel ate the end up. Did a punch plate and tried hammering same dowel thru. It just mushroomed the 1st 1/4" and stopped.
I'll try the router method tomorrow. But I'm a little leary of it because my stock is so small.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
wood peck dowel press looks interesting but pretty pricey if they will make them again

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I dont know where I found this originally, but it works very well
Take a piece of metal, drill the size hole you need. Using a dremel, cuts slots in the hole
20220312_103936.jpg

Create square stock just a hair biger than your finished dowel. Taper one end. Attach one other end to your drill, run through the hole
20220312_104208.jpg

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I'm certainly not into production of these. I build a few calls at a time. I just got a bunch of laminate wood from another member here and the scraps he gave me are perfect for my strikers. I just need to get them rounded out the best and easiest way. I could do it on the lathe but that is time consuming.
Mike I'll give that a try. I will drill a couple holes in a piece of scrap metal and see what happens.

Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm certainly not into production of these. I build a few calls at a time. I just got a bunch of laminate wood from another member here and the scraps he gave me are perfect for my strikers. I just need to get them rounded out the best and easiest way. I could do it on the lathe but that is time consuming.
Mike I'll give that a try. I will drill a couple holes in a piece of scrap metal and see what happens.

Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions.
A hinge works well I heard or red somewhere (probably an exterior hinge) thinking because it is possibly case hardened???
I would guess angle iron would be good...

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Mike's suggestion is what worked the best for me. I had piece of metal that had 2 1/4" holes in it already. I drilled them out to 21/64th and 23/64th. Then used a dremel and cut slots like his example. It worked perfectly. Had to round over both ends of the squared dowel on the belt sander. Put one end in my drill and drilled it thru the larger hole 1st then the smaller one. They now look exactly like the dowels I purchase. Slightly over 5/16" and in need of a little sanding to clean up the swirl marks.
Thanks again for the help every one.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS