Magnification with bifocals ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
In working on my current project it's becoming apparent that I need something more than what I currently have in the way of magnification.

I have "no-line" bifocals with a lighted magnifier with a 3 diopter lens on a stand beside my saw. But I could still use a little bit more of something. I've thought about a headgear mounted magnification arrangement, a glasses frame mounted, jeweler's type, flip down magnification thing, and just going with high magnification reading glasses like what you can buy in drugstores, etc. when cutting. None of which are hugely expensive, but I don't want to, if I can help it, go through a process of trial and error to sift through various options.

So if you have experience and/or knowledge and/or suggestions on this I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
No experience with the magnifiers but I have been known to do some detailed scrolling from time to time. :wsmile: I too have no-line bifocals. Try playing around with your lighting (different watt bulbs, different light angles, more lights). It has helped me.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
We bought a lighted magnifier at Michael's a good while back. It has 3, 5, and 7 magnification. You change a lens to change the power. I wear bifocals as well so that's no problem.
I am having an issue with the thing now as the springs that hold it in position aren't holding it so much anymore and I can't see a way to fix that part.
I don't support Michael's or any particular place - BUT... Michael's often has a 1/2 price off any one item coupon. Made it much more affordable.

tenhote

New User
Terry
I have a similar problem, but also have astigmatism which, for some reason doesn't work with drugstore magnification reading glasses. My dentist uses some kind of flip-down magnification glasses that would probably work, but suspect they might be expensive.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have prescription, no lines bifocal, safety glasses that I wear in the shop. I also have some magnifier safety glasses that I bought at Woodcraft. Be careful of the reading glasses you buy at the drug store. They're fine for reading, but offer no protection in the shop.

HTH

Bill

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
The ones you saw on your dentist would be in the ~$1200-$1500 range, so not very feasible for hobbyist use :) (the clarity and depth of field has to be seen to be believed though). Over the years though, I've seen a few other dentists use a visor-like magnifier- they're a gray plastic visor with a replaceable plastic lens. I have to think they provide reasonably decent magnification and clarity if they're using them for dental work (at least I hope so!). I've also seen a few guys use a clip-on type magnifier- they're a clip with a flat lens that sits about 2" or so in front of your glasses. Not sure of the cost of either one, but if it's a serious consideration I'll ask around for you.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I too have the same problem - I wear trasitional lense no-line glasses plus I also use the mignifier that has the floresent light attached to it - I also use the light that is attached to the saw and just recentlly I put one of the new curly bulbs directlly overhead - If you are having trouble with alot of shadows - Like Scott mentioned try moving or adding lights where you think you can get the best out of them - If you are not seeing the pattern to well (blury) like I was - you might want to talk to your eye doc - I tried several of the drug store bought reading glasses and they worked ok for alittle while then I would have to go get a higher maginfacation - finally bit the bullet and seen doc and been happy with the scrolling since - Hope everything works out for you

tenhote

New User
Terry
Brian: Interesting your comments on the clarity & depth of field of magnifying glasses used by dentists. That's comforting, as I am scheduled for some major dental repairs in January.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I found a pair of safety glasses with magnifies, like the drug store kind. You can get them in different strengths. The beauty of these is that they are also safety glasses. It's just like wearing the drug store kind except the sides wrap around like safety glasses. If I remember correctly I got them from EagleAmerica.com. About the same price as drug store prices.
Jim in Mayberry

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
moz-screenshot.png

I got a couple from Peachtree:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/safety_products.htm

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
Woodcraft sells a visor and then you choose which size lens you want and buy it separately.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004227/8596/Optivisor-without-lens.aspx

That's exactly the visor I was referring to. The 2.5X lens is probably preferable for most people. The 3.5 may seem attractive (more magnification = better, right?), but coming from someone who works through loupes all day, 3.5X is just too much for all but the most detailed types of work, such as highly intricate marquetry. The problem for most people is that with that much magnification it becomes difficult not to "lose the forest for the trees".

Whatever magnification you choose, with the visor and lens coming in under $60 I think you'll get a lot of bang for your buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS