Magician's prop -- a black-art cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
When I was a youth, I was an amateur magician, and though never a great performer, I've always kept up a scholarly interest. One of the old, classic effects is a production-box known as a "Square Circle".

These tend to be from the "gaudy box" school of magic, which was rejected by the celebrated 19th century French conjuror Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin, in favor of apparatus disguised to look like recognizable, ordinary objects.

This is an attempt to do the same with this classic piece of illusion apparatus:

Cage_SqCirc-dscf0825.jpg

I decided that an old-fashioned animal cage would do the job, and the style was inspired by the hilarious animated feature "Madagascar". Sides, back and top are 1/4 birch ply, with 1" strips of 1/4" poplar to give the "crate" look; the ply has been scored with a V-tool on the router-table to give the "built-up" look.

Interior is lined with black felt, and top and bottom painted flat-black, to hide the "modus operandi". The bottom is 1/2" birch ply, as it is not an appearance item.

Cage_SqCirc_2-dscf0827.jpg

The box is about 8" square, to match the proportion of a standard #10 "tin can", which would be used along with this prop; it would be placed inside, after showing both box and cylinder empty, and goods are then "magically" produced from the apparatus. A tin-can was chosen for the cylinder as it meets the definition of "recognizable ordinary object".

The face-frame is 1/2" poplar, and the door 3/8". Holes for 3/16" dowels were drilled, then the door laterals were grooved on the TS, with the verticals getting a tongue for assembly.

This will be put up for sale at our local magic shoppe.

Regards, John

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think I have several of those boxes in my shop. I keep losing my tape measure, chisel, block plane etc. :)

Very nice job, both on concept and execution. It looks very authentic.

J

jeff...

I think I have several of those boxes in my shop. I keep losing my tape measure, chisel, block plane etc. :)

Very nice job, both on concept and execution. It looks very authentic.

Pencil... where did that pencil go? oh wait... how did it end up behind my ear?

Nice Con-struct-ion :thumbs_up

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I was looking at the cool box you built and wondering how to use it to make things disappear and suddenly my thoughts disappeared. Truth is that is a pretty cool project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors