Magazine hole 'punch'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
I know a lot of you, like me, are getting some of the magazines we subscribe to without the 3-holes punched in anymore. I was digitizing mine for a while and just boxing the originals but that was too time consuming. When they finally got about 20 issues ahead of me, I decided to make a hole 'punch' to do myself since the normal 3-hole punch won't handle 50 pages like most wood working magazines are right now. The one I made works for most of them and even the narrow catalogs we get for wood working products we like to save. I found a 3" 3-ring binder will accommodate quite a few issues of just about anything.
My punch 1.jpg Here's picture of the finished project. Took me about an hour and a half from design to finish.

My punch 2.jpg My punch 3.jpg My punch 4.jpg The whole project was done from scraps of 1/2" plywood and 3/4" poplar. Two (2) 1/4" T nuts and 2 1/4x20 knobs. I drilled both the base and top clamp together on the drill press for alignment and left some slop space at the top for some slightly oversized magazines, just in case. I also drilled all the holes all the way through the clamp and the base so they wouldn't clog up with paper pieces and dust and have to be cleaned out about every 3-4 magazines. I did the 20 backed up magazines in about 35 minutes plus a couple catalogs without any problems.

Forstner bit for punch.jpg After first using a brad point bit and having some ugly holes, I changed to a 1/4" Forstner bit and by not forcing it through the pages (50 average), the holes were nice and clean. I don't think they make the 'shark tooth' Forstners this small but just in case, I don't recommend using them.

Let me know if you need any better pics and dimensions.
Pop

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have you tried such a jig with a simple leather punch to make the hole?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
like it! A hollow punch in a drill would do the job too !

Pop

PS. From one old Pop to another old Pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS