Lumber yards are Closed on the Weekends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyscott

New User
Tim
I drew my plans, made my wood list and went shopping today - Saturday. I unfortunately decided to drive to each of these lumber yards only to find they are all closed on Saturday and Sunday!!!! I'm posting this to save other Newbies time!!!! All these are in the Charlotte area and closed on the weedend: Wurth, Dewalt refurbishers on Wilkenson, H&S Lumber. I called and had no answer from: McGee Lumber and Queen City Lumber. I feel like I lost a weekend. Bummer! Hope this helps you plan better than I did. Good Luck.

jobelenus

New User
bigjohn
Woodworking Source - Rick DiNardo is open on saturdays (Mooresville) - Great guy with great stuff....

sestes

New User
Steve
Kyle at The Sawmill near Lincolnton is also open on Saturdays. Great variety of wood, domestic and exotic. Good prices, too.

I feel you pain... got some stuff at queen city yesturday friday so I would have it for the weekend but after I got it home I regretted it.... I need to check out the other two places mentioned since I really did not get what I wanted yesturday... buy the woodworking tools is the easy part... FINDING THE WOOD is the hard part... it is frustrating living in charlotte and not have better places to buy from

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Queen City does most of their business with independent contractors & remodelers, focusing on both delivery and shop services. They stock a large variety of framing and finish materials on site and rely upon pick - up service from the local warehouses on large quantity items such as shingles, specialty plywoods, etc. They are a 3rd generation family owned business and I have been involved along with my father in building many of their lumber storage sheds there. For that reason my opinion MAY be a little biased.......
They do carry a large variety of sizes of Redwood, Poplar, and Southern Yellow Pine finish lumber as well as Yellow Pine, LVL, and Spruce framing in lengths up to 20+ feet. They are NOT open on weekends, because all their employees work the same hours on the same shift. Their staff is knowledgeable about the products they offer and they are not filling in from the appliance or carpet department.... When you talk to one rep there, he'll be there again when you call back unless he's on the yard helping load a truck. Most small contractors appreciate that kind of service & it's what has kept them there 75+ years in spite of the BORG a few miles down the road. Do I use the BORGs @ work? Yes. Many times I will have projects that cannot justify my trip to QC or I feel it not fair to them to deliver it, although they have never refused to do so. I will allow a company like this to have their weekends. They deserve them.
You will find this us usually the case with many of the independent lumber dealers in the CLT area.

FlyingRon

Ron
That's pretty much the same up here in Virginia as well. Fortunately, most open early to suit the trades so I can hit the local hardwood supplier in Manassas before work.

I did grab a bunch of Cherry from Rick in Mooresville. Things are a bit schizo here.... I'm in Northern Virginia during the week but the workshop is in Catawba.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I need to check out the other two places mentioned since I really did not get what I wanted yesturday... buy the woodworking tools is the easy part... FINDING THE WOOD is the hard part... it is frustrating living in charlotte and not have better places to buy from

Between Rick at the woodworking source in Mooresville or Kyle at the sawmill in Licolnton you should have no issues finding wood. They both have the best wood and great prices. They are also a very easy ride from the Charlotte area and open Saturday.

Red

mightyscott

New User
Tim
Thanks for your help. I did call Kyle, he seemed very helpful. He's checking his inventory and will call on Monday. I'm looking for 190 bf of cherry, much of it 4/4. Would Rick DiNardo of Mooresville carry this?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks for your help. I did call Kyle, he seemed very helpful. He's checking his inventory and will call on Monday. I'm looking for 190 bf of cherry, much of it 4/4. Would Rick DiNardo of Mooresville carry this?

More than likely he will. See his ad on the right side of the page. Great guy to deal with. Plus you get to drool over some BIG tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS