Looks like a really nice place you got here...

ashmatash

Ash
User
Hi all,

My name's Ash, and I'm from the Charleston, SC area (or thereabouts).
I stumbled across this forum while searching for clues on how to build a shoulder vice for my workbench. Found a post (Sliding leg vise with X cross) by user named pop-pop and thought I might join in on the community here.
I'm a network/system engineer by trade, but was bitten by the woodworking bug recently after the virtual infrastructure I've been toiling to build and maintain over the past 8 years was laid to waste by Russian hackers and a cryptolocker virus.
During the downtime, I started tooling around in my garage and built a workbench for a rather cringeworthy Ryobi table saw. Since then, I've been constantly looking for new projects and ways to improve my skills.
So far, the wife has been pretty supportive, since overall it means I spend less time in front of my computer :) We'll see if I can squeeze out a new table saw and maybe a planer and a jointer before she loses patience with my new hobby aspirations.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here. Thanks!

Ash

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Hi all,

My name's Ash, and I'm from the Charleston, SC area (or thereabouts).
I stumbled across this forum while searching for clues on how to build a shoulder vice for my workbench. Found a post (Sliding leg vise with X cross) by user named pop-pop and thought I might join in on the community here.
I'm a network/system engineer by trade, but was bitten by the woodworking bug recently after the virtual infrastructure I've been toiling to build and maintain over the past 8 years was laid to waste by Russian hackers and a cryptolocker virus.
During the downtime, I started tooling around in my garage and built a workbench for a rather cringeworthy Ryobi table saw. Since then, I've been constantly looking for new projects and ways to improve my skills.
So far, the wife has been pretty supportive, since overall it means I spend less time in front of my computer :) We'll see if I can squeeze out a new table saw and maybe a planer and a jointer before she loses patience with my new hobby aspirations.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here. Thanks!

Ash
You mentioned a shoulder vise and here is one that I made as an experiment and gave it away.

Maybe @McRabbet can comment on how well it worked (or didn’t).

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Just remember Ash that the "But honey, if I had a (current coveted tool) I could make you that (current coveted piece of furniture) like you want" tends to start getting the scowling stare after the first couple of times you use it and don't deliver that current coveted piece of furniture quickly enough.

Welcome to the saw dust pile!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS