Looking for Woodworkers to make small items out of Rustic & Reclaimed wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
All the responses I have seen here raise valid questions regarding this proposition. They give our members and readers a lot of food for thought. There is certainly more to this than what is on the surface, and more than I gave initial thought to. To that end, you are to be commended. It is also interesting to note that the OP has made no rebuttal on HIS post here to any of these concerns. In the end, it appears on the surface that this guy just wants to try to make a profit on his "burn barrel" pieces.

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'm weary of people wanting something custom made, but think wood is free, and labor is done for the love of it. For most things anymore, I turn it down. I make what I enjoy making, and don't mind if it sits in the storage room if it doesn't sell, but then I'm retired and between VA disability and SS, we are comfortable. He may be the same type of person as another I know well. He lived in a dream world all by himself. He showed up in a small town in NW Pennsylvania and announced to the local news rag that he was setting up shop there to manufacture unspecified widgets in great quantity, as well as to eventually erect a new manufacturing plant through his construction company. Also as part of a mega-complex, with mega plans in his head, would be a world class restaurant. He took out full page ads and began interviewing people, and telling many they had a job at wages above the area average. Several folks quit their jobs, in an area where jobs at any level, were at a premium. Then he sort of disappeared into the sunset. He had big dreams, and he loved playing the part, but he got many peoples hopes up for new business in a rust belt city, and he hurt quite a few too. Perhaps this same person operates along those wave lengths, but if not, he should offer some rebuttal to my and Dennis's remarks.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
These items will be made out of reclaimed wood that he will provide. He will pay upon delivery and then brand them to use as promotional gifts when they sell a reclaimed wood product such as a table or barn door.

Regards,

Matt

Gotcha6 said:
In the end, it appears on the surface that this guy just wants to try to make a profit on his "burn barrel" pieces.

I don't see how he is making a profit on giving something away that he has paid for.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Personally. I have done spec work and contract work for a few folks that have joined up here just to find someone to help them. I never had any problems, but I read, understand, and follow the safety procedures in my manual before taking on something I may not comprehend.

I sincerely don't believe this is a scam. (Could always possibly be wrong) but if this is the deep suspension we show everyone who comes here looking for help we will soon not be offered any new opportunities.

So, how about holding off on the speculation, suspicion, rude comments, and bad mouthing until we know better?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe I misunderstood his intentions with the finished products.
Will they be promotional pieces that he will give to potential customers, or items for sale? If the former, then he is making good use of what may be drops. If the latter, he would be entitled to a markup, but I'm not sure what the profit margin would be. And then there's the W-2 thing.
What would be the requirement for the WWer regarding using the reclaimed wood for other purposes, or would they have to account for its use?
To what finish standards would they be expected?
It all seems a little open ended to me right now but seeing as I'm in Monroe I really don't have a dog in this fight.
I just hate to see someone start traveling down this road and lose their shoes, but then again, nothing ventured, nothing gained......

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting how much attention and how many strong opinions this topic has garnered. I will report back once I have met with him this afternoon.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Interesting discussion. Revient is a legitimate business enterprise but none of us new that from the original post by Brian "Big Daddy" Hoschek. So the thread struck some folks as odd and perhaps risky to get involved with.

However we later found out from Matt (mpholway) that Revient Reclaimed Wood LLC is legitimate and Brian Hoschek is opening a branch office near Raleigh.

Brian Big Daddy could've just told everyone that, plain and simple, in an up front introduction in his original post instead of being secretive.

So there are two sides to the "rush to judgment" suggestion by some.

Matt is supposed to report back with some details after meeting Mr. Hoschek today so we'll see how that went.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
To all,

I went and met with Brian today and got some clarification. It seemed that he just posted the request and then really left it at that. He expected that anyone with enough interest would call the number for more information. He has a legitimate showroom in Apex with a number of pieces: desks, tables, bars, frames, doors, etc. He is not a franchise of or owned by http://www.revientreclaimedwood.com/ but he is affiliated with them.

That said, my original communication was on target per his initial requirements/expectations: He wants to get a number of promotional items made that will be given away when he sells one of his high ticket items. These promotional items include a 6 pack holder, a wine bottle caddy, a 3 bottle wine rack, and a smart phone/table holder. He has provided me with examples and wood and I am going to make a few prototypes just to see how long it takes and if we are on the same page.

I will have very limited exposure regarding sunk costs if things do not work out and I very much appreciate all of the feedback and cautionary tales that you have provided.

Stay tuned for further details as they unfold and feel free to reach out via the forum or PM if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Matt

Jeff

New User
Jeff
He is not a franchise of or owned by http://www.revientreclaimedwood.com/ but he is affiliated with them
Interesting. I don't understand what that "affiliation" means (not an employee, etc) and how it came about. Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse but I'm curious since we've all gone down this strange thread road together. Who made the showroom furniture display items from the real Revient reclaimed wood (N. Wilkesboro) to showcase the qualities of reclaimed wood? I would have thought that the home office would've proudly posted that furniture on their website for advertising but it isn't there (yesterday) nor do they mention any local affiliates. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors