Looking for Re-Saw Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floyd Hall

New User
Floyd
Hi,

I recently bought a loose pile of lumber that includes 12-14 cherry and black walnut slabs of varying lengths. They range from 1 1/2i to 2i thick and 12 to 14i across. I would like to find someone who can re-saw these so I can create matching panels. Eventually I hope to buy a bandsaw big enough to work with these, but right now that's a ways off and I need to be confident I can handle these pieces comfortably.

I intend to mount them to a backing board with either dowels or cross-rails, then flatten the top, then have them re-sawn.

Thanks,

Floyd Hall
Pilot Mountain

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Scott Smith has the equipment to do this well, and without any errors. He is a hike from you, but will be able to handle this project.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Floyd, welcome to NCWW. The NCWW administrators will move your question to "General Woodworking" or "Wood" forums for broader exposure.

Pictures of your slabs would be helpful in order to see what you're working with. What do you want to build using from this wood (dining tables, kitchen table, coffee table, cabinets with doors, etc.)?

I intend to mount them to a backing board with either dowels or cross-rails, then flatten the top, then have them re-sawn.
:icon_scra

I understand book matching but I don't understand your plan for doing that. How thick do you want the pieces after resawing from your 1.5"-2" thick slabs that are 12-14" wide (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4")?

Floyd Hall

New User
Floyd
Well, I don't know. This wasn't an entirely thought-through process. :) But I'm thinking about matching panels for cabinet doors and/or small items I can make and sell on Etsy. My daughter, for instance, has asked for a fancy decorative tray, which will be my first project. I like contrasts in grain and color. These are black walnut, so I was thinking about making two-tone panels with a nice piece of maple I have that's been sitting here for awhile.

Anyway, I'll put pictures up soon.

Floyd

Floyd Hall

New User
Floyd
I was hoping to match them in 5/8i thickpanels and join them with contrasting piece in some sort of panel that on tops, doors, drawer faces, etc., using a router and pattern jigs. I'm trying to post photos here. Slabs.JPG

Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS