looking for ONE INCH HDF whole or half sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
Looking to build a new router table. I have tried phenolic. Its too hard to work with. I need a product called High Density Fiberboard. Thanks

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I used two pieces of 3/4" mdf for my router table top. Don't know why you would need 1" thick hdf.

My previous router table used a re-purposed laminate counter top, only 3/4" thick. I used that for many years and passed it along to another woodworker who is still using it.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I used two pieces of 3/4" mdf for my router table top. Don't know why you would need 1" thick hdf.

When I built my table, I used two-layers of 3/4" MDF laminated together to create the table top. The resulting lamination is very solid.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ehpoole

Ethan

My previous router table used a re-purposed laminate counter top, only 3/4" thick. I used that for many years and passed it along to another woodworker who is still using it.

Well, if you were thinking only in terms of a single piece then 1" HDF is a good choice since you will lose around 3/8" everywhere you install a miter slot or T-slot.

But 3/4" MDF is so readily available that it just makes so much more sense to laminate two pieces together and you stilll get a stiffer product than the 1" HDF since your MDF top is now 1-1/2" thick. You will need to, of course, cut out an opening for the router so that you do not lose router cut depth, but then if you are using a router mounting plate then that is already taken care of for you. The resulting 1-1/2" thickness of a MDF should also be stiffer than the 1" HDF as stiffness increases by the third power for each doubling in thickness (so two thickness of laminated 3/4" MDF are 2^3, or 8, times stiffer than a single thickness of 3/4" MDF) as the 1-1/2" MDF will be 50% thicker than the 1" HDF yet the weight of both option should be fairly comparable as MDF has about 2/3 the density of HDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS