Looking for MLCS Router opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I know nothing about that router., so I can't help your there. What I do myself, is use a PC 7518 dedicated for the table and I use the dewalt 618 for my plunge.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would agree with Steve. I am familar with the company, but have heard nothing about that router. It does look like a good deal, especially the package with the Router Raizer. The 3HP router looks a little clunky to be easy for handheld use. It would be great if you could try it in person. I was sold on a PC plunge router until I tried it and then the Dewalt. I bought the Dewalt. You might consider looking into the Hitachi M12, it has gotten solid reviews and is a bargan compared to the PC 7518. Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
except for the DC provision, that one looks an awful lot like this but for a lot less $. Sorry, don't know anything about it. but it looks good

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hey neighbor Tim!

If you want to check out the Hitachi M12v, you should stop by. Maybe you can show me how to use it 8-O I've had it a couple of months haven't had a chance yet to learn :!:

Sapwood

Monty

New User
Monty
I occasionally see someone mention that router, but I've never personally seen a review of it. I have not heard anything negative about it, though. Personally, I have the M12V, which is in the same price range and has generally received positive reviews. Every so often it goes on sale for about $159 or so. I've also heard good things about the Freud router, which is also in this price range. Either of these two would probably be "safer" bets, when it comes to buying a "known" product. Of course, there may be reviews of the Marvel that I've not seen...

The router raizer is also supposed to be nice, from what I've read. Read this to see a real-world review of that product (in the M12V).

That Marvel/RR package might just be worth a try - you can review it and let us know what you think!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Another vote for the M12V in the table and another smaller one for hand-held use. Router lift? I have found that I can change bits and adjust just as fast without one, or at least I think I can. I can certainly do it by hand in the same approximate time frame and for a lot of $$$$$$ less.

George

M

McRabbet

Tim,
First, I've never seen any review of the MLCS router and that's why I was (and remain) skeptical about it -- I just bought one of the best brand name 3-1/2 HP routers according to most reviews (See the Sept 2005 WOOD Magazine review Monster Routers or buy a copy of the review at http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/woodmall/templates/woodMallReviewPage.jhtml?tool=woodmall/toolreview/164monster_router), the Milwaukee 5625-20. It not only features variable speed control between 12 and 22,000 RPM, it can be adjusted from above the router table with a t-wrench. I bought it from Amazon.com for less than the MLCS/Router Raiser combination -- $258.99 including shipping. Two fixed base routers always stand out in reviews of the big ones -- the new Milwaukee and the Porter-Cable 7518, which is more expensive.
Rob

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Tim, I have had a M12V for dedicated use in my router table for almost six years now and it has given me no trouble at all until just recently. I think the VS switch might be going bad on it. I have to fiddle with it a bit to get it to come on sometimes. But after six-years of use I have been very pleased with its overall performance. I use a couple of PC 690s for all my hand work.

D L

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I bought the 5625 thru Amazon too. Also bought another base from Speciality Tool, so now I can pop the motor out of the table into the other base and it's hand held. It has better balance than my 1 and 2 hp routers and enough power to route with a dull stick in the collet.

Joe

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
5625 + PC 690 here too. I have to say the 5625 is awesome handheld as well. It is so smooth and the mass actually makes it very easy to control.

DavidF

New User
David
I have been using my Freud FT 2000 in the table for about 10 years now and never a moments trouble. I picked it up at a trade show just before the 2000E with the variable speed came out. My other router is a small 3/4 hp Hitachi also about 10 years old that has done everything else; again, never a moments problem. I am considering getting the Dewalt as a replacement mainly because of the dust extraction. I don't think I would entertain a router today that didn't have built in extraction.

M

McRabbet

DavidF said:
I have been using my Freud FT 2000 in the table for about 10 years now and never a moments trouble. I picked it up at a trade show just before the 2000E with the variable speed came out. My other router is a small 3/4 hp Hitachi also about 10 years old that has done everything else; again, never a moments problem. I am considering getting the Dewalt as a replacement mainly because of the dust extraction. I don't think I would entertain a router today that didn't have built in extraction.
David,
Doesn't the Freud FT 2000 series have a fairly restricted opening in the base? As I recall, it would be tough to lower a 3-1/4" diameter panel raising bit low enough without hitting the cast metal base. The Milwaukee 5625 has a 4" diameter opening.

DavidF

New User
David
Absolutely correct - The largest bit I have ever had to use was the 1 1/2 round over I used for the table edge that was about that dia and I also needed to slow it down so just for that one cut I rented a bosch router from a rental place in Durham (SunBelt rentals) and rigged it up in the table, made the cut and took it back - job done.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
BTW Tim, thanks for posting the link for MLCS, my catalog arrived yesterday, great collection of bits! Anyone have experience with bits from them?

M

McRabbet

NCPete said:
BTW Tim, thanks for posting the link for MLCS, my catalog arrived yesterday, great collection of bits! Anyone have experience with bits from them?
I've bought bits from them and have always been satisfied with them. If you want the very best bits, then Freud or CMT are probably better, but they cost more. I have also had good luck with Woodline America bits (they will be at the Charlotte show and usually have specials; you'll also be able to buy CMT and Freud bits there, too).

Rob

DavidF

New User
David
I have used them almost exclusively for about 2 years now and find them just fine. The service is great and free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS