Looking for donations of hand tools that need restoration to donate

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Things like hand saws that may have some bends and need sharpening, low end planes that I can make users out of. I thought these would be worthwhile to make users and donate to Bull City Woodworking. I kind of enjoy restoring tools and boy to then need some! I guess I could also clean up chisels and such. If the saws are past hope, I can cut them up for card scrapers.

Side selfish half, more practice straitening saws. Done a couple to good use but practice practice practice! My sharpening is getting pretty good if I dares say so myself.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I can gather up a pile of tools for this worthy cause. May be able to meet you closer to Durham when I visit my daughter. Don’t know when that will be. Or you are welcome to visit and see what we can dig out of the shop.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
When the weather breaks, maybe another trip your way would be fun. Now I finished my master bath, I have time to get back into the shop for "real" work.

I was also thinking of making marking gauges. Using a sharpened flat head screw in scrap wood.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Scott - besides planes and saws, are there tools they need? I cleaned out a friend's garage and have some wrenches, sockets, pliers type tools that l'd like to be rid of. They in need of some of that, or should l contact directly?
Thanks

Henry

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Really good progress. I need to make a couple trips to do some collections.
Just about finished cleaning up a batch of planes. Really cheap "Craftsman" and the like, but should be decent student users. Record vice just needed a small repair.
Pile of saws, but all bent so that will give me a lot more experience!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
This has also been a lesson in how bad you can mess up a basic design. A block plane where the blade is so thin, it chatters. OK for taking off an edge I guess.
The two "Craftsman" planes the sole is ground so terribly my only choice to so make scrubs out of them. They are ground with a radius on both sides of the mouth, so even if the iron was a hair from the opening, it is effictivlly about 4mm away from the sole support. Not wear, not someone else messing them up, clearly how they were ground. On a spindle I think. One #3 the steel is so bad, all it does is fold over wire edges. Can't get it actually sharp.
Anyway, mixed and matches some parts and got some planes that work pretty well. Just need to get some #12 bolts to finish off the last one I have. On to the saws. All are crosscut.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Got some of the saw blades pretty strait. Only by bending and hammer on one small ripple. I'll know if that is good enough after I sharpen and set them. It is kind of a catch-22 with my eyesight. With implants, the saws are long enough that I can't keep both ends in focus.

Handles in better shape. But of course, missing some saw nuts. Also am missing some what I think are #12 x 24 bolts for one frog.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Scott, I have a couple of drawers of plane parts if you can use any. Mostly Stanley stuff, but some Sargent, Millers Falls, etc.
I may even have a complete plane or three. I'll take a look.

Do you have an idea of what pieces and parts you want/need?

Atlasfanatic

New User
Jake
This has also been a lesson in how bad you can mess up a basic design. A block plane where the blade is so thin, it chatters. OK for taking off an edge I guess.
The two "Craftsman" planes the sole is ground so terribly my only choice to so make scrubs out of them. They are ground with a radius on both sides of the mouth, so even if the iron was a hair from the opening, it is effictivlly about 4mm away from the sole support. Not wear, not someone else messing them up, clearly how they were ground. On a spindle I think. One #3 the steel is so bad, all it does is fold over wire edges. Can't get it actually sharp.
Anyway, mixed and matches some parts and got some planes that work pretty well. Just need to get some #12 bolts to finish off the last one I have. On to the saws. All are crosscut.
Thanks for keeping us updated Scott! Would love to see an in progress picture or maybe once your finished if you have the chance.

For reference, here’s a few before pictures of what he was working with. Definitely had his work cut out for him!

Attachments

• 204AB28C-8581-419C-A8E4-0D0DB8BAC5E9.jpeg
    204AB28C-8581-419C-A8E4-0D0DB8BAC5E9.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 77
  • C8C0E8EF-13E2-43F1-A591-CB6A878E6D8A.jpeg
    C8C0E8EF-13E2-43F1-A591-CB6A878E6D8A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 77
  • F54E50A5-4C29-4ADB-9B17-D8F22EFA0179.jpeg
    F54E50A5-4C29-4ADB-9B17-D8F22EFA0179.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 83

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Got most of the planes far enough to make them work. Just need final tuning. Chisels ready to use.
Got the saws pretty strait. Good enough to cut well I think but I amy keep tweaking. Sharpening and set next. Missing some nuts. one handle BER.
A few parts BER.

Attachments

• 20230328_081404.jpg
    20230328_081404.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230328_081455.jpg
    20230328_081455.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • 20230328_081344.jpg
    20230328_081344.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
  • 20230328_081440.jpg
    20230328_081440.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 67

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
As a side ( selfish?) benefit I was able to test a couple of the donations and compare them to my tools. Yea, the Veritas back saws are nice, but I like my Froip better. Just a personal feel. Their taller tenon saw is a narrower kerf than my tuned up Crown, but again, I think the weight of the traditional saw makes it better for me. I was also able to see if the Veritas scraper burnisher worked better than my standard one. Well it works and may be a better approach for the school, but for me, old school is easier.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Way off subject,
Top end saws are also from Cosman, Greene, Lie-Neilson, Pax and others. Big bucks but sooo sweet.
Glad to see Erik is a young guy as so many of the tool craftsmen are as old as the rest of us and may not keep up much longer! We need this.

On subject,
Dropped off the first batch of donated tools I got ready. More to pick up, more to get ready. Yea, they were floored and very much appreciative.

They do use power tools as well.

Attachments

• 20230330_125148.jpg
    20230330_125148.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 78

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Progress on last batch ( From Mike)
It did take some time for Blaster to work, but got the tote off the rustiest one. Not sure if there is enough metal left, but will see.
You find odd things. Why someone ground a #3 as a scrub? I notice on the older irons, many are ground past where the hardened strip is. Several knobs had cracks. Filled with CA. Carved a patch for the top of a broken tote. A bit if work to get the frogs to sit flat. Anyway, another day and the planes should be ready for paint.

Lathe needs a motor. Guessing 1/2 or 3/4 if anyone has one lying around. Then the motor sheave, switch and can make a stand. That all may have to be bone by their volunteers.

I was looking at Amazon for their cheap irons. One had a one star review as a $9 iron " was not sharpened correctly". What on earth was this guy expecting?

Attachments

• 20230406_074142.jpg
    20230406_074142.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
  • 20230406_074247.jpg
    20230406_074247.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 69

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A lot of folks are stuck on that #40 scrub plane and think they need small. So, #3 is a cheaper alternative. I can’t imagine trying to flatten a big slab with a #3 or 40. A fore plane is the proper tool for that job. I like my #6.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Scott: Are they in need of hand tools only?
I have a Work Sharp 3000 with the wide blade attachment and a Belsaw 1" x 42" abrasive belt "sander/grinder" I would donate.
Both are in used condition but work well.
Advise their interest.
David

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I suspect so. Just put a CBN wheel on mine and finally it is a viable tool.
They do have jointers and planers, so I bet the WS and attachment would they would be useful. (Until I talk them into LUX heads :) )

Restoring these tools has taught me a lot on how cheap it can be done. I did not know Stanly made the "Defiant" line. Even cheaper than a Handyman. Fixed frog is just two cast in posts. On the other hand, it is a pleasure to get an early Bailey going.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS