Looking for a user Back Saw

Claus

Claus
User
Does anyone have a good old crosscut back saw that they’d part with? I have no problem paying a bit more if it’s sharp and in usable condition.

As an alternative- any suggestions for a decent new one? I’m kind of bowled over by the bad axe and grammercy prices, any suggestions for something decent without the boutique pricing?

Thank you

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
If no one has a vintage saw that will work for you, I have a Veritas carcass saw that I can part with.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Does anyone have a good old crosscut back saw that they’d part with? I have no problem paying a bit more if it’s sharp and in usable condition.

As an alternative- any suggestions for a decent new one? I’m kind of bowled over by the bad axe and gram mercy prices, any suggestions for something decent without the boutique pricing?

Thank you
About six years ago I bought a little saw at Lowes - just used it again this week. It is (I believe) a Vaughn Bear Saw looks a lot like this one:

1710958755048.png

Now, I realize this isn't a carcass saw or a back saw, but it has serve me well as I learned how to use a saw watching 'experts' demonstrate techniques. An old adage of my grandfather's memories goes something like (with a bit of a brogue) "'tis a poor workman what blames his tools."

The inverse would appear to indicate that a good workman can make a 'poor tool' do marvelous things. I have a sharp old big box back saw (Stanley FatMax) that continues to serve and a couple picked up at the ReStores as well.

I do not know how to sharpen a saw and have yet to get a lesson in sharpening chisels and planes and such, but I do know that I can return a saw as easily as I can purchase one without letting go of any cash in the interim. So look at the gram mercy and bad axe saws up close so you can compare them to other offerings - you may be pleasantly surprised at the capabilities of the blades made by machines and mounted in plastic handles.

Curious, do you sharpen your own saws? I've only tried it on my chain saws. I figure, if I spent $245 on each of the saws in my chest, I would require a solvent sugar daddy or the ability to keep 'em sharp myself. By the way, one can buy 13 Fat Max saws for the price of a bad axe(well, 12.89 . . . )

top-rated options on the market today.

1. BEST OVERALL: Stanley – Fatmax Tenon/Back Saw
  2. BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: GreatNeck BSB14 12 Inch Mitre Box w/ 14 Inch Back Saw
  3. BEST DOVETAIL SAW: Zona 35-380 Thick Dovetail Saw
  4. BEST GENT’S SAW: Crown 187 8-Inch 203-mm Gents Saw
  5. BEST TENON SAW: Spear & Jackson 9550B Traditional Brass Back Tenon

Last edited:

Claus

Claus
User
More specifically I’m looking for a crosscut, not dovetail or rip saw. The big handsaws i have are too big and not precise enough. I have looked at the veritas and will definitely follow up here before I buy a new one.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
After seeing how a good saw is supposed to work ( Florp dovetail) I got and tuned a Crown and a Spears and Jackson. One was rip and just needed a tune up, the other had "universal" teeth so I re-filed it to crosscut. Did a bit of re-shaping on the handles to fit my large paws. They work as a saw should. Cut strait, even, smooth or at least when they don't, I know it is me, not the saw. The universal teeth were actually not too bad. I think they are referred to as "tenon saw" size but could be "carcass". Either worked pretty well with just a quick stoning of the sides.

Sure, if you have the bucks for Veritas, Cosman, Lie-Neilson, Blue Spruce, Bad-Axe, etc. great. They don't actually cut any better than a moderate priced saw well tuned. That "well tuned" is why the big bucks.

For a bigger crosscut, there is the saw that was used in the guided miter boxes. Might be a bit unwieldy though. As I am so happy with my frame coping saw, makes me wonder about larger frame saws. Don't forget the small panel saws. 18 to 22 inches. Usually finer teeth than the bigger 26 inch saws.

As far as sharpening and tuning, to me that is half of knowing how to use a saw. Just like any other sharp edge. The finest chisel made is useless if you can't keep it sharp. Fortunately, even for a hobby-hack like me, neither is really that hard to learn!

FWIW, a 15 inch FatMax actually cuts pretty well, just the handle is at the wrong angle. $20.

Personally, I am looking for a larger one to cut deeper bridle joints. Rip of course. Maybe at the pic-nick I can score.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors