Looking for a used Shoulder plane

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Looking to buy a shoulder plane. I thought I might see if someone on here may have a lightly used one laying around their shop and is willing to part with it. Prefer a Veritas, LN or old Stanley in good shape before I buy new. Shoot me a PM if you have something.
Thanks for looking,
Eric

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Do you have a particular model number or a photo of the one you want?
Stanley made a lot of rabbit and shoulder planes, depending on the size and type they can get pretty expensive.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
I am looking for a medium shoulder plane something like the LN 042, Veritas medium or the Stanley 93.

I have not checked Ed’s yet. I will shoot out an email this evening to se what he has. I heard he was shutting down his business but forgot when he was closing up shop.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Seems like there are some listed on Sawmill Creek. YMMV. Sometimes tools sell fast over there.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I already had and still have a Veritas medium shoulder plane which I like very much. I did want the larger variant but wanted to keep the expense down. I began looking for the proverbial red-headed stepchild brand, Record. Watching for a few months, I found a clean Record No. 073 on eBay for $125 plus $12 shipping. The condition was fabulous, and the price was ideal. Patience won out. Moreover, having the Veritas for comparison, I am delighted with the Record. It's a beast in the hand.
Good luck in your search.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
These Clifton planes are highly regarded. Not sure if the price is fair or very fair. The prices of Veritas and Lie Nielson have risen so much that it's hard to tell what is "fair" these days.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member

Faults&All

New User
Dan
Not sure where I’m NC you are, but I have a new Wood River in the box. I got it at a course I went to. I’m in Whispering Pines, NC near Pinehurst. Let me know.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I actually decided to order the Veritas medium shoulder. According to the majority of opinions this seems to be the best choice. Better cry once when you buy instead of every time you use it.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Excellent choice -- I have both the small and medium Veritas shoulder planes as well and love them.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS