Looking for a good oscillating multi tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I went to HF about a week or two ago and picked up an oscillating multi tool for $24.99 and got it home and plugged it in and saw it came on so I threw it in the cabinet for when I needed it. Well, yesterday working in the shop trying to get it all back together I had a need to use the tool and took it out and tried to use it and the blades were useless. The unit wanted to vibrate out of my hand and made more noise then progress. I cleaned it up and put it back in the box and will return it to HF tomorrow morning.
That leads me to another search for a decent multi tool. I looked up a couple but have no real experience with any at this point. I saw the demo on TV for the Fein multi tool and really liked it, but did not like the price they are asking for it. I don't think I will get my money's worth but that remains to be seen.
There is one I came across on the web from Bosch. Bosch MX30EC-31 Multi-X 3.0 Amp Oscillating Tool Kit with 31 Accessories. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any other recommendations?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The wife bought me a Dremel brand one for Xmas one year and it has worked flawlessly whenever I've needed to use it. It was a present so I didn't shop around for the best deal or anything, but I'm very satisfied with it. Use it mostly for handyman type projects. Working on trim or some other thing around the house.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Thank you Ken. I did not know Dremel even made that tool until just now when I looked it up. I thought they only had the rotary tool. Looks like a good one. The one I just saw is a 7 amp too. I was looking at th Bosch with 3 amps for a little less then the Dremel.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
I've had a dremel for several years and when I've needed it, it's worked great. It's one of those tools that they'd probably give you for free because the replacement blades are where they make their money.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I've got a porter cable that works well. I'd like a good excuse to replace it with a 20V Dewalt. I'm really liking my 20V dewalt stuff.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I think some things are better left running on the 120volt circuit. I have the 18v and 20v Dewalt impact and drivers and love them but still use my corded drill for a lot of work!

redknife

New User
Chris
I haven't tried them all, but use the Fein corded and Milwaukee cordless. The Fein lives up to it's reputation. I found myself using the Fein so often around the house that I added the Milwaukee cordless (bare tool). The Milwaukee works great as well. I have multiple tools in the Milwaukee ecosystem, so I didn't bother comparing other cordless brands. It looks like you could get a bare tool Dewalt for about 129. I hear ya about liking some things corded, but multitool tasks and cordless tend to go together well.

Brogan

New User
I picked up a Ryobi when it was on special at HD a few months ago.

I only need it to do one thing, which is to cut down some baseboard so I can remove it, and it came with the blade so that was a bonus.

It's okay but it's no Dremel.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I came across the Dewalt DWE315 that looks great. Even got to see a video on it. I can get the extra kit with it for $188.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I haven't tried them all, but use the Fein corded and Milwaukee cordless. The Fein lives up to it's reputation. I found myself using the Fein so often around the house that I added the Milwaukee cordless (bare tool). The Milwaukee works great as well. I have multiple tools in the Milwaukee ecosystem, so I didn't bother comparing other cordless brands. It looks like you could get a bare tool Dewalt for about 129. I hear ya about liking some things corded, but multitool tasks and cordless tend to go together well.

They do have the same unit only in a 20 volt kit with battery and charger for right at $200 that I see so far. Hopefully someone will have it on sale before I do this.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Bosch PS50-2A 12V Max Multi-X and I love it.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have had the Dremel for 5-6 years - and it has worked flawlessly for a $50 tool (re-conditioned perhaps?). It does require an allen wrench for blade changes.
A few years back I saw a Porter Cable with tool-less blade changing - $50 at the DeWalt service center on Capitol Blvd (not a regular item, in fact I have not seen them there since that day; may also be re-conditioned, I didn't care for that price). I picked that up and have only used that a few times; I like it even more than the Dremel because of the tool-less blade change feature.

Aside from blade change requirements - both have worked great for me. Performance does depend on the blade.

Henry

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I have the Bosch PS50-2A 12V Max Multi-X and I love it.
I thought I was set on the Dewalt until I happened upon the Bosch Starlock Plus. Saw a video on it and read the specs. It's going to be between the Bosch and the Dewalt now.
Thanks everyone for chiming in and giving me advise and ideas.

JohnW

New User
John
Frank,
I have a corded Bosch. Not sure which model (son has borrowed it) but it have variable speed which I find handy when using the profile sander option. The blades are the expensive part of owning this tool so buy something that accepts non-proprietary blades.

I use this tool all the time and it's been a good solid tool. I often think of using it after I've tried some other tools and hit my head with that V8 moment. :icon_scra I shoulda used the multi-tool.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... variable speed which I find handy when ....
....so buy something that accepts non-proprietary blades.

Agreed on both accounts
- that variable speed is desirable.
- find a saw that can use a variety of blades (non-proprietary)

I have often used this for coping cuts on trim, especially with small pieces.
I LOVE that is this about as safe a saw as one can use, and I have no issues getting my fingers close to the blade - unlike every other powered saw out there.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I would love nothing more then to get a unit that will accept any and all blades, but to get a good tool I think you are at their mercy right now. My search continues then.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Well, I just bit the bullet. Not the one I had planned on but it is half the price and allows for different blades and not just the Bosch Starlock blades. It says it is a discontinued model but that is because the new one has the dedicated blades and an LED light for an additional hundred. Here is the model I bought.
Bosch mx30ec-31 multi-x 3.0 amp oscillating tool kit with 31 accessories. Got an additional $20 off for discount so I splurged the $9 for an additional 2 year warranty coverage.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Fein, great tool. Home Depot puts them on sale every so often.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I've always wanted a Fein and watched all the infomercials when they came on. I could not justify paying the high price for using it once a year if that. Now I am finding that IF I HAD ONE now, I could use it. I guess I was just wanting one enough I was looking for justification to buy it. I don't mind paying for a good quality tool, but I would like to have a use for said tool before I buy it. I guess at my age in my mind, if I want something, I am going to get it and that's it. I am just not a wasteful person especially when it comes to money so I do still struggle a little before a purchase.
Appreciate everyone's input. It has been a big help in my decision to get the one I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS