Looking for a decent first scroll saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Hi all,

I too have been bitten by the scrolling bug. I would like to know any tips on finding a saw for sale, decent prices and what to expect from a used saw. I may want to buy new, but I am willing to look for a good used saw. I just lost one on eBay from Sakura. :-( It went out of my "current" price range. Oh well.

Anna-Catherine

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I'd like to find one too in a couple months.

Personally, I don't know squat about scroll saws. Could someone out here enlighten us about what to look for ... and give an opinions on brands.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

Attachments

• B000022313.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61338237_.jpg
    B000022313.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61338237_.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 275

cskipper

Cathy
The Delta model that's sold by Woodcraft and same version from Lowe's is a pretty good starter - runs about $200. For less vibration you'd need to move up to the DeWalt at about $450-$500. After that you wind up in the $1000+ range. The difference is mostly in the blade movement. The lower end ones have kind of a pivot motion - which is mostly manageable depending on what you are cutting. The DeWalt has a modified parallel arm that greatly (I'm told) reduces the vibration. The higher end ones have a true parallel arm which virtually eliminates vibration because the blade literally moves straight up and down.

I have the Delta and am ready to move up. I am cutting more pieces by stack cutting. The vibration is annoying and the motion of the blade makes the bottom piece somewhat different than the top piece.

There are some other things to consider, but those are the biggies. Let me know if I can supply you with more information.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Thanks, my argument is I need to spend some good money in order to get the quality I want. I have proven this to my partner time and again. She is going to help me get a decent one. Thanks for you help. That DeWalt does look good.

Anna-Catherine

cskipper

Cathy
I started with the Delta because I wasn't 100% sure that I would enjoy it enough to keep at it. :lol: Now I know I do and want to jump - my 1st choice is a Hegner, 2nd a Hawk. I would never have started there - to much history of starting things and losing interest. Keep us posted on what you buy.

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
I have a delta that wworks fine but not as well as it's upgrade I caught on sale. (Dewalt) I still use the delta a lot but the Dewalt is gretest. Harry

woodguy1975

New User
John
I started with the Delta because I wasn't 100% sure that I would enjoy it enough to keep at it. :lol: Now I know I do and want to jump - my 1st choice is a Hegner, 2nd a Hawk. I would never have started there - to much history of starting things and losing interest. Keep us posted on what you buy.

2nd choice Hawk..... Come on Cathy!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Gotta be Number 1. Made in the good old USA.

cskipper

Cathy
Yes, but that one is temporarily out of stock.

How much do the folks who own the DeWalt actually use it?

Jay

New User
Jay
The Dewalt is a great machine. It's the one I have and it has practically taken all my shop time. It is a joy to cut with.

Jay

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Thanks to all who responded. I am looking towards the DeWalt, especially since my neighbor works at a DeWalt dealer. Heh, heh. It will still be costly, but at least I know I will be getting a quality machine. Now, I will not get it until after Jan, after the sales are over. He is getting me "his" price so if I find a better deal on it, I can snatch it up. Again, thanks to all.

Anna-Catherine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS