Lois Ventura Lotus BS Box????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Have any of you folks made the Lotus BS box in Lois Keener Venturas first book?:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :gar-Cr:gar-Cr
I've got a few questions if anyone can answer them.
Thanks

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Hey Ken, I have not made it or any other BS box - sorry I can't help - but why don't you go ahead and ask the questions and someone might be able to answer them - your problem with the box might be simpler to another makers problem that they have had - JAT

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
That is my favorite box...although I haven't tried it yet simply b/c of the amount of sanding involved. Do ask your question and I bet someone can help you. A pic of a finished Lotus may help those who don't know what it looks like. Best of luck!

Chris

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Phillip and Chris,
Good suggestion.
My questions were 1.) A couple of cuts leaves the bandsaw blade trapped in drawer cavities if the wood has tension and firmly closes the kerf made to cut out the drawer. With a lot of pucker factor I got out of this without breaking the thin/fragile drawer wall.
2.) This is the only design she had with the drawers hanging out in the air. I questioned whether to cutoff a complete back or just make individual backs for the drawers, or let the drawers slide both directions without a back. I usually don't install the back till the sanding between compartments is done so I can sand from both sides.
I decided to cut out the exterior forms, lay the boxes on a blank of 1/4" thick stock and outline the box and saw that out and glue to the boxes frames, then sand to fit.
This/these boxes are a bear. I know why I have waited 2 years to tackle one, and am having second thoughts how the spalted Ambrosia Maple is going to 'fit' with the design.
For those who haven't seen the Lotus here's a pic. (not mine)

lotusbox4.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS