Logs For Log Home Wanted

Kidd704

New User
Kidd704
Hi,

I'm in the process of building a log home, and I'm finally to the point of construction. I've come to the conclusion that I don't want a "kit" for this build. Does anyone know of a local source for kiln or air-dried logs for me to use for exterior walls? D-shaped logs would be preferred but it's not absolute. I'm located outside of Charlotte and I'd rather not have these shipped in from out of state, but I haven't come across any so far. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelley

Kidd704

New User
Kidd704
Back in 2006 when we had our custom log home built our builder used kiln dried logs (white pine in our case) from this company in NC. These guys were very nice, helpful and responsive for the very few times I had discussions with them as our builder took care of most of that. We had D-style as well.

Thank you. I'll definitely reach out to them. I noticed on the website that they will sell logs by the foot, that's a good sign.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Hi,

I'm in the process of building a log home, and I'm finally to the point of construction. I've come to the conclusion that I don't want a "kit" for this build. Does anyone know of a local source for kiln or air-dried logs for me to use for exterior walls? D-shaped logs would be preferred but it's not absolute. I'm located outside of Charlotte and I'd rather not have these shipped in from out of state, but I haven't come across any so far. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelley
Ellis lumber in Shelby. Been around a long time..

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Ellis lumber in Shelby. Been around a long time..

Had a friend up in Holly Springs that got their logs there (not sure if it was him or his contractor) 4 years ago. He seems pretty happy with the quality and results.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member

Had a friend up in Holly Springs that got their logs there (not sure if it was him or his contractor) 4 years ago. He seems pretty happy with the quality and results.
The company has been there since the grandfather built it I think. Scott switch from regular saw mill to cabin logs maybe 15 years ago or so. Nice family, honest folks. He used to be my neighbor.

joec

joe
User
As a younger man I started my business career with a Log Home franchise from a company up in New England. They sold kits with still green logs. I had a great start with the business but it stalled after a couple of years when I discovered the issue with wood boring insects that love moisture in logs to get their start. I am not speaking on termites, but powderpost beetles and old house borers. Best get kiln dried logs as they have been heated up enough to kill any eggs that have gotten started in the green logs. Air dried logs could still be infected as the bugs could lay eggs while the D logs were up on sticks drying out. These bugs were especially a problem in the our climate.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS