Login timeOut

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoins

New User
Marvin
Looked around a little on FAQs & such looking for the answer to this question:

What's the site login timeout value? And, what would it take to extend it to an hour, say. It seems to be really short - 10-15 minutes or so.

Am relatively new to the site as a poster, but have had a couple instances where I've written a post - which took longer than the inactivity timeout, when I finished & went to post it, poof, it's was gone.

I've since started writing long posts in WordPad on the laptop, then once complete - cut/paste into the post.

Love the site & the friendliness, comaraderie, the info & high level of skill I see. Look forward to seeing 'what's up?' nearly every day.

Thanks.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hi Marvin,

The login timeout is 15 minutes, which is indeed pretty short. Before I start tinkering with this, there is probably an easier way to avoid the problem. Simply check the box "Remember me" that appears next to the "Username" entry box in the login section (top right of the page). That should keep you signed in until you click the Logout link (which you don't have to do unless you're on a public computer or something).

Let me know if that works. I'm also puzzled as to why you're losing your posting when the system forces you to log in - it should preserve the text. But one thing at a time.

M

McRabbet

Marvin (and Bas),

First, I agree with Bas that you should click the Remember Me box on login and you'll be logged in the next time you return to the site (you just never really log off and a cookie is saved on your computer for that return).

I suspect that you were in the process of composing a post using the Quick Reply icon in the lower right corner of a previous post -- that is probably the most common way to add one. Unfortunately, the timeout will grab you after 15 minutes, so one option is to submit the post before you are complete and then reopen it with the Edit button. It will not show that little edit message at the bottom when you are through, but it will allow you more time to compose your thoughts. I'm not sure how long you have if you use the Post Reply button at the lower left, but it is probably the same.

JohnW

New User
John
FWIW - I've never had problems with time outs on my work puter but lost some posts on my home puter exactly as you describe. "Remember me" works well at work but...not at home.

After checking hardware & softwar & operation settings and configurations on both units the only difference I could find was my personal firewall & antivirus at home. The "free" CA programs you get from Time Warner/RoadRunner is worth about what they charge for it. Switching back to Norton seemed to fix my problem.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The login timeout is 15 minutes.

Hmmm :eusa_thin I always thought it was 30 minutes and that was an increase from the previous setting due to some complaints.
The Remember Me button will solve a lot of problems...like remembering your password, timing out during replies, and the hassle of actually logging into the site anytime you want to view it.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors