Little Bit Of Luthiery

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
If you've never tried, but wondered about the process, here are a couple of pics from a current project.
Lovingly referred to as a "Mariach-ulele", this big-bodied Ukulele features an 18" scale, One-piece maple neck, walnut back, mahogany sides, spruce top, and rosewood fretboard and embellishments.

The neck and and body were built separately, and are just about ready to get put together.

In the first two pictures, I was working out a clamping setup before I needed it. I need to glue and clamp the fretboard to the body while pulling the heel of the neck into the body. I put a couple of pieces of Purple Heart and some pipe clamps into play to pull it off:

Next, I needed to install the frets, which I rough-cut to allow them to be easily aligned and tapped into the slots I cut earlier. Once they are firmly seated, I snipped them close to the fretboard with flush-cut snips.

After they were close enough, I grabbed a palm-fitting file to bevel and smooth the edges for easy playing.

i glued the rosette in place (the only piece I did not build) while installing the frets, so I was anxious to see how it would look, so the final photos are a mockup before putting this thing together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    750.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 62

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Looking great :) I really like seeing musical instrument work in progress threads. There's just something about it for me.... like a new birth or something.

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Looking great :) I really like seeing musical instrument work in progress threads. There's just something about it for me.... like a new birth or something.

i have earlier progress pics on this one. I shelved the project for a while. This will be a nice looking uke...and I hope it will sound good. Never did one this deep before.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
i have earlier progress pics on this one. I shelved the project for a while. This will be a nice looking uke...and I hope it will sound good. Never did one this deep before.
I found when building my bases the biggest factor to producing a good instrument is for me to take my time and enjoy the ride. When I rush it, it shows in the end product. Sure I could do a lot more with machinery but I purposely build a lot of it by hand just so I can enjoy the ride. There's nothing like knowing every inch of an instrument inside and out.

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
I found when building my bases the biggest factor to producing a good instrument is for me to take my time and enjoy the ride. When I rush it, it shows in the end product.

as far as instruments go, this will probably get finished next. It's for me. I redid the electronics in a guitar for my son's friend, and he let me have all his original components from his Les Paul. That's what I'll put in this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 55

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
as far as instruments go, this will probably get finished next. It's for me. I redid the electronics in a guitar for my son's friend, and he let me have all his original components from his Les Paul. That's what I'll put in this.
Interesting body design I like it. Let us know how you combat neck dive.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Interesting body design I like it. Let us know how you combat neck dive.

I hope I addressed it from the start. That's a solid piece of Maple from the neck pocket to the heel. The bridge will attach along the way. With a bolt-on neck backed up by a neck plate, it should be okay.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I hope I addressed it from the start. That's a solid piece of Maple from the neck pocket to the heel. The bridge will attach along the way. With a bolt-on neck backed up by a neck plate, it should be okay.
I found with my 33 1/4" scale bass guitars, unless I have a a lots of weight by the tail or the strap button on my upper horn hits around the 13 fret I risk neck dive. Neck dive may not be a problem for you, guitars are a lot shorter scale than basses are. If you do run into neck dive with your design, you can go with lightweight machine heads or move the strap to the head stock right behind the nut like the do with acoustic guitars

Last edited:

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
I found with my 33 1/4" scale bass guitars, unless I have a a lots of weight by the tail or the strap button on my upper horn hits around the 13 fret I risk neck dive. Neck dive may not be a problem for you, guitars are a lot shorter scale than basses are. If you do run into neck dive with your design, you can go with lightweight machine heads or move the strap to the head stock right behind the nut like the do with acoustic guitars.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I won't be learning any hard lessons this time around. If so...they can keep all the others company. There have been plenty, as I'm sure you know. :wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS