Library cabinets and bookshelves are underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I'm on the home stretch of completing the shelving and cabinetry projects for our home. I'm behind schedule as usual but moving forward most of the time. I should no longer be trying to handle full sheets of plywood at this point in life, so I put together a setup that allows me to slide the panels out of my van and saw them into manageable sizes. Some of you are probably familiar with this. I made a grid out of 3/4" plywood using dado cuts to allow the pieces to interlock. I have a bunch of plastic milk crates that I use for temporary table bases, etc. in my shop that I used to get the grid surface up high enough to make it easy to unload the sheets. I inserted short pieces of 1/2" dowels in the bottom of the grid to keep it from sliding off of the milk crates. The long saw guide is one that I bought at the WW Show a few weeks ago. It was a great buy, from Peachtree, for $59.95. Special thanks to my good friend Terry for being willing to haul it home in his Lexus SUV (it extended from the dash board to the tail gate). The setup works great and I was able to cut down 15 sheets of plywood in about 1.5 hours. And... my back doesn't hurt! Now I can disasseble the grid and store it out of the way.

DSC00271.JPG

View image in gallery

DSC002721.JPG

View image in gallery

DSC00273.JPG

View image in gallery

The next steps are to cut the pieces into the final components and begin the veneering. The units will use cherry veneer and solid cherry. Hopefully, the veneer will be ready for pickup in the next few days. I'll post pictures as it progresses.

bobby g

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Good example of "working Smart" instead of working harder. My aching back is telling me I've about reached that age. Now if I was just smart enough to listen to it. :gar-Bi

Can't wait to see pics of the finished library.

Bill

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I like that grid idea. Anything to save the back nowadays is worth it. And milk crates are priceless shop hands!

Red

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks like a great start Bobby! Yes, plywood is heavy... Even when you're young you really should avoid hauling sheets by yourself.

Glennbear

Glenn
Good solution to the wrestling match encountered when using sheet goods in a one man shop :icon_thum My milk crates are friends in my shop also. :gar-La;

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Bobby,

Nice! :icon_thum

I like the creative use of the Van for storage of sheet goods, as well as the crates.

Keep the WIP Pics coming!

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS