leveling endgrain cutting board

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I recall reading that running an endgrain cutting board through a planer is a recipe for disaster (and I understand why) - curious if that is still true for planers with spiral cutterheads? I can see reasons why it would work better...but still suffer from the same basic problem. Has anyone tried it?

I have a trio of end-grain cutting boards (xmas gifts) that need to be leveled. One needs at least 3/64" removed from one side to level it. I don't have a wide belt sander. The boards are roughly 10x16"...I am not looking forward to the grunt work of leveling these with my low-angle jack plane. I think I have a hand belt sander...haven't used it in so long I'm not sure if I still have it.

Suggestions welcomed,
Chris

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Chris, even w/ a spiral head planer I would still be concerned about tearout on end grain. There are a number of folks in the Triangle area w/ wide belt/drum sanders. I bet one of them would be glad to help you out. If not, you're welcome to come to Liberty and I'll run them through my sander for you.

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've done it with a spiral cutterhead. Rounded over the edges to prevent tear out, then fed it through using VERY small bites. It came out great. I also have a drum sander, but end grain tends to burn very easily, which then needs to be sanded out again (repeat until you have a cutting board 1/4" thick....). Planer did not leave any burn marks.

But be careful. VERY small bites.

Of course, using a real wide belt sander is even easier. Especially since you usually get to talk shop for an hour or two.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
As others suggested use a roundover bit to round the edges so that you don't get massive tearout and take very, very light passes. I've done a few this way w/o any issues.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Merrill; wood you like to run them thru my sander? :D:D I have a 22-44 in my shop, it is sooooooooooo far away, Zebulon LOL PM me just call 919-375-4442

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Thanks for the feedback! I gave it a shot and it turned out great. I put a small bevel on the edges and took off about 1/100th at a time. Tearout on the edges was miniscule...and I haven't trimmed the boards to final size yet, anyway. Had it all done in 10 minutes. That was much less painful than planing it by hand!

Jack, thanks for the offer!

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've seen a sled type outfit made to use a router to cut the board if it's got a thickness issue, especially after a glue up where not all the parts stayed put. flattening sled.jpg

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
A router sled - of course! I don't know why I didn't think of that...I've considered building one for leveling boards too wide for my planer. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS