Leslie 122 Cabinet Louvres

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Can someone tell me how to cut these louvres in a wooden cabinet? This picture is Leslie 122 speaker, but all of the wooden Leslies have these as sound vents. It's hard to see them in the pictures, but they're not straight slots.

136.jpg
gqadrnxs0qwa881nd4t6.jpg
2015-08-29-10.00.40-e1440862003926-805x1024.jpg

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Just a guess, but I would assume a shaper or large router bit with a guide bearing to cut the curved slot profile on the edge of a board. The straight side being the squared edge of a separate piece.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
If those have to be milled in a solid panel, best is to find help from CNC operator. Otherwise that will be a time consuming effort needing a lot of skill.

If you can glue up the panel after milling each piece, easy with a shaper or router table.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Mike,

Had another thought (RIGHT after I hit "Post reply" of course!) ... cut coves in thin strips of matching material, cut square slots in cabinet and glue the cove "trim" into the slots as needed. This will allow you to experiment with different radii and gap settings if you choose. This is probably much safer than plunge-cutting large slots on big panels, and much more tolerant to bad cuts.

As an added benefit, if you are making the Leslie cabinets from materials other than solid wood, the cove trim does a wonderful job covering the edge grain ... allowing you to experiment with different cabinet materials as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS