Leather strop material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Anyone have any suggestions where I might find a piece of leather approximately 3 inches X 22 inches long?
I am looking to make a leather strop with this.
Thanks for the help once again.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If there is a leather shop anywhere near you, try them. There is one not too far from me that keeps several boxes of scrap on hand and sells it cheap.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
The only thing I have within half hour distance is a shoe repair and a tack shop that sells finished items like saddles and bridles.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
There was a guy in Liberty at a flea market that had all kinds, shapes and sizes of leather pieces but they don't have that flea market there any longer. It was across from the Antique Flea Market.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Frank,

I have had good luck with a seller called dc_leather on Ebay for "horse butt" scraps for use on strop blocks.
Here's the site: http://r.ebay.com/40TUfv

(Doesn't look like he has anything of the right size right now but it's always changing. Shoot him an email?)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
There was a guy in Liberty at a flea market that had all kinds, shapes and sizes of leather pieces but they don't have that flea market there any longer. It was across from the Antique Flea Market.

That place is called "Willie's". They moved 1/4 miles closer to Liberty, but on the same side of the street as the Antique Festival. The leather shop I was talking about (Zach White Leather) is only 12 miles away, in Ramseur, NC.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Thanks Jeff, but I will not pay $45 for a piece of leather I want to use for a strop. Tandy is a bit over priced in my opinion.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I looked on ebay and they have page after page of leather strops, some quite reasonable. My grandfather was a barber, wish I had his old strop. Not to change the subject but I remember my father using the strop for other reasons (worse than go cut a switch)

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I just made a connection with Springfield Leather Company, and they are going to cut the piece of leather I am wanting. Good price and they have any kind of leather you can think of. I am going to receive a catalog with my order so if anyone is interested in looking at the catalog, I will have it with me at the different outings that I can attend for NCWW. These people seem like good people so far. They once were a part of Tandy and decided to split off when Tandy closed that one location.
Another mission now completed!
Thank you to all who has answered and helped. You guys are the best on the web bar none!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS