Leather care for a writer's desk blotter

dwhitener

New User
Daniel
Hello all. I'm nearing completion on a contemporary writer's desk shown in issue #270 of fine woodworking. Instead of a wooden desk surface, it's covered by a large leather blotter. I have never worked with leather before but I'm hoping some of you surely have some advice for it. It calls for a 10-12 oz weight leather - it's thick. I bought one described as "9-10oz full grain oil tanned cowhide". If you thought lumber was expensive, check out the cost of 10oz leather... I'd really like to NOT mess this thing up!

My leather-related questions are these:

1) The leather looks a tad dry and lightly scuffed from handling... If this leather were on my black dress shoes, I'd break out some shoe polish and shine them up a little. What sort of treatment should I use for this blotter/writing surface to refresh it? I've seen a variety of oils, conditioners, etc.. out there on the market but I am clueless where to start or how to chose which one for this application.

2) The edges of the leather need to be turned down a bit to hide the cut edge. People on the internet are able to shape their edges seemingly easy. I have a bone creasing tool, but it's not working. I suspect it may be because this leather needs a little moisture in it. Do I need to somehow wet the edges before working them or will the above suggested oil/conditioner help with this process?

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Attachments

• writers desk.png
    writers desk.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 56

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Don't know- except watching my brother and his wife do turns in leather.
They would make a small "U" then thin the area a bit, then get wet then heat iron the top and use duct bending pliers (duct seaming pliers) and work away.

Should have paid attention more

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS