learning to scroll saw,,

jeff oldham

New User
jeff
i just bought me a dewalt 788 scroll saw and needless to say im having alot of trouble learning it,,its so much different from regular woodworking,,i think alot of my trouble is in the blades i use and im trying to rush cutting out something,,,its definitely a learning curve to it,,i was looking for somewhere that provide classes for beginners,,im here in greensboro,,

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff, it is a definite learning curve. A few months ago, Berta hosted a workshop at Bill Clemmons shop in Liberty, on scroll saw basics. IF it is offered again, you should definitely sign up to attend.

For now, turn the speed down, and make sure the tension on the blade high. You should be able to pluck with your fingernail and get a musical note. If you cannot get that, reset your blades in the clamps and try again. Don't force the wood through.

For general cutting, a number 5 reverse tooth, or a skip tooth blade should give you a good starting point. I bought a 788 used, and got a variety of blades that I have not used yet, just based on what I have been doing with my saw.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
There are 2 Scroll Saw Clubs. One at the Klingspoor’s in Cary. First Sunday of the month. From 2 to 4 pm. That is tomorrow December 3. The other is at the Winston-Salem Klingspor’s on the second Monday of the month, in the evening. I will be at the Winston Anniversary demonstrating on December 9th.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
i just bought me a dewalt 788 scroll saw and needless to say im having alot of trouble learning it,,its so much different from regular woodworking,,i think alot of my trouble is in the blades i use and im trying to rush cutting out something,,,its definitely a learning curve to it,,i was looking for somewhere that provide classes for beginners,,im here in greensboro,,
There is nothing that can beat hands on training. I am two hours away but if you want to make the drive, I would be happy to give you hands on training. Three or four hours should have you cutting like a champ. Tyler is another scroller who lives much closer to you but I am sure he would help too. His username on the forum is Artisan Pirate.

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
Scroll Sawing is a fun and therapeutic form of woodworking, and I'm happy to teach and help in any way I can. The best advice I can give is to "Take your time, and let the blade do the work"

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors