Lathe Rebuild

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have a Delta Lathe, the model 46 525. I modified the unit with a 2 hp 3ph w/ VFD.

Anyway, the bearings were getting noisy (they were always noisy), so replacing them (6205zz and 5205zz).

Since I am there- I am thinking I might want to change the pulleys to double belt type. Any concerns with this?

The other question: anyone have any comments or experience changing the ratios on these?
I am thinking of changing the aspect from 2" motor to 5" spindle pulleys to - 3" to 4.25" . This would allow the motor @ 100% (3450 rpm) top spin the spindle roughly turn @ 2400. The original motor was 1 hp I figure there is enough torque with the bigger motor to accommodate.
I don't do pens, so I cannot think of any other instance where I would need a higher rpm.

Ideas, reflections and comments appreciated.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
In isolation yes. But he is looking to change both. His drive ration will drop from 2.5:1 (5” spindle pulley and 2” motor pulley)to 1.41:1 (4.25” spindle pulley and 3” motor pulley). Fewer turns of the spindle for each turn of the motor.

That’s if I’m reading Oka’s note correctly. I might have got it wrong

Reactions: Oka

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
One of the big noise makers with that VS lathe can be the middle pulley when the moveable middle sleeve's bore begins to wear. (304 on the parts illustration)
1    46-525.jpg

Also, I thought that 1750 was the standard RPM for that lathe.

Were you thinking of deleting the variable speed middle pulley and replacing it with fixed diameter pulleys?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The variable center pulley I removed at the 1 conversion. The noise is because the bearings were shot. But yes the original set I had after changing to the vfd system was 5" spindle and 2 " drive.

Just wondering 1. if it would be beneficial to add double belt system and 2. what would I turn higher than 2400 rpm?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Most of my turning is in the 400- 1200 rpm range.

I don't think there is enough torque to worry about double belting.
A link belt will run smoother.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Engineering out that 2" motor pulley will go a long way to smoothing things out when using standard V-belts (A section, 4L section). A three inch pulley will be much smoother.

John Jankowski

John
Corporate Member
Just want to make sure you realize that currently with 2:5 pulley you are running the spindle at only 1380 max rpm using a 3450 motor. You will be speeding the max spindle speed using 3:4.5 pulley ratio to as you said to approx 2607 rpm.

Larger motor pulley = faster spindle speed. Smaller spindle pulley = faster spindle speed. You have both and nearly double the speed.

Very rarely do I go above 2600 rpm on the lathe except for some spindle work. The faster speeds do give you a smoother cut if you know what you are doing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors