Latest work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Here are some photos of my most recently completed piece, a desk in cherry. The design is original, and features some Asian design elements. I intended the reverse taper legs and the under-bevel of the top to balance each other, and I am happy with the result. Questions and critiques are welcome.

P1280644.JPG

P1280650.JPG

P1280651.JPG

P1280643.JPG

P1280634.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Matt

Attachments

• P1280644.jpg
    P1280644.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 47

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I enjoy seeing original works like this as well and I particularly like the 'organic' joinery -

striker

New User
Stephen
Very nice work Matt. Can you explain the drawer slide structure ? Drawers on both sides or one?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Stephen asked,

Can you explain the drawer slide structure ? Drawers on both sides or one?

Stephen, the drawers turned out to be a little challenging. There are three drawers, one small one on each side, and large center drawer. I wanted to keep the appearance of the curved apron, but still have enough room in the center drawer to hold a standard keyboard and mouse. The two outside drawers slide in a traditional runner/divider/kicker frame, but using traditional runners for the center drawer would have taken away too much height from the drawer box. My solution was to use wooden side runners, and that yielded sufficient height for the drawer box. I should have taken a photo of that. Of course, another solution would have been to use metal slides, but I much prefer a more traditional approach, as I think it looks much better when the drawers are open. Undermount slides, while basically invisible, were not an option for the center drawer for the same reasons that I explained above. I hope I have answered your question satisfactorily.

Matt

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Wow, this is a beautiful piece! I hope when I grow up, I can design and build pieces like this!
Thanks for sharing and inspiring!
Michael

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi Matt,

Another masterpiece from the house of Zettl. I absolutely love the reverse taper on the legs - what an interesting design. If you still have the piece, I'd love to come down and see it.

Ernie

striker

New User
Stephen
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Stephen asked,

Stephen, the drawers turned out to be a little challenging. There are three drawers, one small one on each side, and large center drawer. I wanted to keep the appearance of the curved apron, but still have enough room in the center drawer to hold a standard keyboard and mouse. The two outside drawers slide in a traditional runner/divider/kicker frame, but using traditional runners for the center drawer would have taken away too much height from the drawer box. My solution was to use wooden side runners, and that yielded sufficient height for the drawer box. I should have taken a photo of that. Of course, another solution would have been to use metal slides, but I much prefer a more traditional approach, as I think it looks much better when the drawers are open. Undermount slides, while basically invisible, were not an option for the center drawer for the same reasons that I explained above. I hope I have answered your question satisfactorily.

Matt[/QUOT
Thank you for the explanation. Like any good design, cleverness lead to clean, elegant lines.

Stephen

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
vbxmanmike, thanks for the compliments.

Patlaw asked, "How much time do you have invested in the project?"

Mike, I am not really certain. I have had to cut back on my woodworking time because of some other committments, so it was an off and on thing for about 6 weeks. Whenever that happens, I tend to lose my "flow," and each time I go back into the shop, it takes some time to get back up to speed. I think that if I had worked on it daily, full time, I could have completed it in a week. That being said, I never seem to be able to accurately estimate my time for a project up front.
;)

I absolutely love the reverse taper on the legs - what an interesting design. If you still have the piece, I'd love to come down and see it.

Ernie, your comments are truly appreciated. I took the desk to the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville about two weeks ago, so you will need a different excuse to come for a visit.

Matt

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member

Ernie, your comments are truly appreciated. I took the desk to the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville about two weeks ago, so you will need a different excuse to come for a visit.
Matt

That's too bad - I would have loved to have seen it. I suppose I could use some plywood from Atlantic Veneer. Is that a good enough excuse to visit? I'll send you a PM.

Ernie

MagGeorge

New User
George
Fantastic cherry table! Like the Asian style especially the legs and the drawer handles. The joints look amazing. Outstanding work!

JohnW

New User
John
Matt,

Always enjoy and am inspired by your work. For my eyes, everything works proportionally. Also, what I really like is the way the size and tone of the handles complement the exposed tenons AND the natural dark streaks in the cherry. Color and proportions are really well balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors