Latest Rocker..small gloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi Folks,

Just put the first coat of finish on my latest rocker. The wood is Utile/Sipo from Roger Barrow (East Wake Hardwoods).. quarter sawn on the seat, arms, headrest, and plain sawn on the legs. All kinds of neat rays in this stuff..I think it's a close cousin of mahogany..but it's prone to tear out with it's cross linked grain.

Someone was asking about finish for mahogany. I guess I've tried most tung-oils (Garrett Wade, Sutherland Welles) and they all have bleed back issues on porous woods like this. I used Deft Danish Clear Tung-oil/Urethane on this and after one coat it's pretty great. I got mine from Doug's Supply on the web, but I think they have it at Klingspor.

There's a bunch more photos in my Gallery/Album under "New Rocker".

Don

Attachments

• CIMG1886.JPG
    CIMG1886.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 152
  • CIMG1888.JPG
    CIMG1888.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 152
  • CIMG1890.JPG
    CIMG1890.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 174
  • CIMG1896.JPG
    CIMG1896.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 175

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Don, that is beautiful. I really like the way the two different sawing method yielded different results in how they took the finish. It's a nice contrast. Is there another wood type in the back slats and rocker laminations or am I just seeing a reflection?

Dave:)

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Really, really nice, Don. Makes me want to think about getting away from making stuff with flat surfaces. Actually, it makes me want to sit on a porch and rock for a while instead of making anything.

-G

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Don that is simply gorgeous. Beautiful joints and lines. I really like it! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I griped to LOML today about how long it took to sand BS boxes, then I see your work. Kinda puts things in perspective! :)

Chuck

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW....Don, to say beautiful does not even give it justice. I can only dream of doing work like that.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Gorgeous work. The chatoyance (learned that wood from Roger!!) really stands out on the back.

Go

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Don,

Once again you have done a beautuful job. The shape is splendid and the wood seems to have ribbons running through it. Absolutely gorgeous.

Jimmy:)

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don, that is beautiful. I really like the way the two different sawing method yielded different results in how they took the finish. It's a nice contrast. Is there another wood type in the back slats and rocker laminations or am I just seeing a reflection?

Dave:)

Dave,

Thanks for the compliments..it took about 10 weeks to build but it was worth it. I hesitated to combine the QS and FS but it turned out well. The QS rays are grain direction oriented so when you walk around the chair the patterns reverse...neat.

Yes, on the other wood type. I use ash for the middle two lams in the back braces (total four...0.90 thick), and the 4th and 6th lams in the rockers (total nine...0.125 thick). The ash gives the flexibility and strength needed for the back braces. They're designed to flex when you rock...sort of a back massage, plus the shape is patterned pretty much like the human spine so the support is very good. :)

You can see the rocker tips better in my gallery. You can shape the contours pretty much any way you want once the "racing stripes" are in there.

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
Really, really nice, Don. Makes me want to think about getting away from making stuff with flat surfaces. Actually, it makes me want to sit on a porch and rock for a while instead of making anything.

-G

Hey Gazzer,

I built Shaker stuff for years..nothing but straight lines and boxes. Actually I really love the simplicity and "form follows function" of the Shaker designs, but last year it hit me!!!...I need to make something with curves (... in wood, that is).

I don't think there's a straight line anywhere in these chairs and they are a joy to create...sort of "organic" or something ;-)

Don

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Thats a really Nice Chair. I envy your Talent, I hope I can do that one of these days.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
VERY NICE! I must reflect everyone else's sentiment and say that hopefully one day I will have the skills needed to build a rocker like that!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Don, the chair looks great!

VERY NICE! I must reflect everyone else's sentiment and say that hopefully one day I will have the skills needed to build a rocker like that!

Just takes practice Phillip! I have found that if I wait on the skills and tools I think I need, nothing ever gets built! You gotta stretch yourself to get those skills!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Just takes practice Phillip! I have found that if I wait on the skills and tools I think I need, nothing ever gets built! You gotta stretch yourself to get those skills!

I'm still conquering the flat stuff right now! Who'd thought it's so hard to keep straight stuff straight AND flat! Not to mention making sure everything's square :-D

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Don -

After seeing your work in person, the pictures can't capture the true beauty of the craftmanship. The pictures look great, but when you see the chair in real life, you know instantly that you are looking at what will forever be a family heirloom for whoever is the lucky owner. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing some time with me a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors