Latest FWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I received the latest FWW (Feb 2009) last week. The trend of low-quality continues. I was talking to Travis Porter and he pulled out the August 2007 issue of FWW and showed me a joint glue up article that is VERY similar to the joint test article in the latest issue. It was even done at the same place!

I have concluded that despite owning every issue of this magazine, if the quality does not improve before my subscription runs out, I will sadly not renew it. My two main reasons for subscribing have not been met by the recent issues:

1. Inspiration, seeing what is possible, even if I will never have the ability to make a particular item, and

2. Increasing my knowledge of woodworking. FWW used to be the pinnacle of the WWing magazine world. Others appear to be doing it better now. My how the mighty have fallen :gar-Cr

Doug

Touchwood

New User
Don
Dave..I subscribed as far back as 1990.

When they went to the smaller size, every two month issues (plus more ads) I quit. I agree..the quality has tanked.:nah:

The old ones are excellent reference material and I have an index for all of them.

Don

JohnW

New User
John
Doug, I agree and will add that I thought the quality, or at least the focus, of FWW started going in a different direction about 1-2 years ago.

When they introduced their web site and ran a "special" I believe cost was ~ 15.00/yr for FWW subscription holders. I signed up. About 9 months later I decided not to renew my FWW subscription (for reasons above) and they went and back billed me for the whole year non-member rate to the web site. I guess they had the right to do this based on the fine print...and I paid it (they took the $$$ from my credit card) But it sure didn't give me the warm & fuzzies about their product.

It was the best WW mag out there for a long time and it's ashame to see.....or in my case, not see, the quality go down.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I agree with the decline in quality and will most likely not renew if it doesn't improve.

There was another thread covering these same issues and suggested we notify the editors about our dissatisfaction with the declining content quality. I recently responded to an FWW e-mail survey and expressed my dissatisfaction and also wrote a letter to the editor.

Maybe if they hear from enough concerned subscribers they may improve. If not, just don't renew.

Dan C.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
About two years ago I tried to figure out why I was taking FWW. Could not think of a good reason so I stopped. Have not missed it at all.

I just received my last issue of Woodsmith. I will glance at the library copy on occasion and if I feel as if I am really missing out I will start the subscription again. I think I already know what is going to happen. I had started to wonder how many new articles could be written about shellac.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Agreed. The joint strength versus glue strength in 1 year is a bit much. Maybe glue strength has changed already?

Walking through Lowes I noticed the magnificent FWW Tools and Shop issue on sale. I believe they are trying to get a wider audience (increase revenue).

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have about finished reading through the latest issue and I was considering posting that FWW must have read the threads on that previous issue. I thought it was a great improvement. FWW and PopWW are the only magazines that take me a few days to read through...other are worthy of only a quick skim-thru with a little focus on one good article.
I did notice that the joint strength article was very similar to others published. But I found it interesting nonetheless.
To each his own, but I still look forward to getting the next issue. They may have a dud out occasionally. But it sure beats American WW'er or Workbench :eek::eek:

MTCW,
Dave:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
From what I hear Pop WW has been improving a lot lately. I will watch and see as I dont take that mag now. The cabinet and furniture maker mag from the UK is good tho expensive. Then again it has 12 issues a year.

Oh yeah Woodworker looks real good too.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS