Late Christmas (Kinda) gloat with lots of ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice99

New User
Mike
Picked this PM66 up off CL back in November after a cabinet maker closed down his shop, but haven't had time to clean or tune it up until my days off after Christmas. As you can see it is mounted on my 'universal base' and is a much bigger/better machine than what it is replacing.

New PM66 001.jpgNew PM66 003.jpg

As I am breaking it down and cleaning it up, everything looks great except the top and wings have some superficial scratches on them (too deep to come clean with steel wool). Any advice from those who have done this before on how to clean those up without ruining the 'flatness' of the top?

It is about 12years old and was in storage for 6months before the guy let it go, so I am cleaning and re-lubing the carriage gears. Everything looks good, so I am not pulling bearings- Should I, while I have everything apart?

Over several of the shaft bearings, there seems to be a lube plug but I can't find any info in the manual. Are these in fact lube ports? Should I open them up? I am definitely in the 'don't ask for trouble' mode.

Thanks for any and all guidance offered.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I don't have a PM66 so I can't answer regarding what kind of lubeing it may require. I wouldn't think that the arbor bearings would need to be replaced unless it was used extra heavily The pictures tell me that it hasn't been abused. The scratches in the top I wouldn't worry about unless they damage your wood as it passes over them. You can use a random orbital sander to sand/polish the top up some. Just keep the sander moving when you do it.
That's a really good saw. Your going to be highly impressed when you see how much better it saws that your CM contractors saw.
Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
No grease fittings on the PM66. May look like it, but they are not. As for the arbor, spin it without the belts on and see if it sounds smooth without any grinding or binding. If good, you are probably ok, if not, I would recommend ordering an entire arbor assembly. As for the belts, if they are not in bad shape, just offset them from each other from where they were. One last thing. On top of the arbor assembly is an allen screw. Ensure it is tight. If not, you will have trouble. DAMHIKT.

novice99

New User
Mike
Thanks to all for your feedback.

I had a vague memory of someone doing a PM66 rebuild- thanks Tom for the link and the memory jog. I hope to have pics of sawdust this weekend!:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors