Laser cutting/engraving

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought an XTOOLS D1 Pro a little bit ago and I am just starting to get into the laser engraving/cutting. I need some advise as to where to go for ideas, designs, and supplies. Any suggestions that can be proffered will be greatly appreciated.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I found etsy to be a great resource for designs, often for just a few bucks. Make sure you're buying the digital files instead of an actual product. Otherwise, doing a google image search with 'svg' or 'vector' - but you can get some pretty spammy results. It's often worth it to me to spend $2 or $3 on etsy than to spend the time searching for free designs, or designing my own (which I can do, I'm just not as good as an actual designer).

I used to be a member of a few laser facebook groups. A lot of people in there were people churning out stuff as a side hobby, and you can see what's trending and popular. I'm not in the group anymore, so sorry I can't give you the exact name/link.

Echd

C
User
Start with buying Lightburn if you haven't already.

I have been making jigsaw puzzles lately. I do a phototransfer to a piece of hardwood using modpodge or similar and then cut it out using my laser.

If the design is amenable you can also do a photo engrave and then cut it out. But puzzles with large open areas can be quite miserable in Grayscale.

Makes cool coasters though.

Attachments

• 20230820_211249.jpg
    20230820_211249.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 20230418_000059.jpg
    20230418_000059.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought an XTOOLS D1 Pro a little bit ago and I am just starting to get into the laser engraving/cutting. I need some advise as to where to go for ideas, designs, and supplies. Any suggestions that can be proffered will be greatly appreciated.
Matt I am considering adding a laser engraver to my shop. Let me know how you like the unit.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I just upgraded to an XTool D1 Pro 10W. It is an awesome machine and is much more user friendly than my last laser.

I agree with everyone above that Lightburn is a game changer. So much better than all of the free software out there and definitely worth the investment.

For small or easy things (coasters, ornaments, etc) I have found I prefer to make my own files. I usually use Google images to find something (say NCSU logo). There are plenty of free websites that convert a simple image like this to an SVG file that be then be imported and manipulated in Lightburn.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
For Pyrography, I resort quite a bit to Pinterest for ideas. I suspect if you search for laser engraving with/without patterns, you may get some decent hits.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Google "free laser files" or similar.
printables.com and thingiverse.com have some good files. Their search doesn't always work. But if you google "free laser files thingiverse" ...
You are going to find that many files are duplicated on "every" web site.
Many site have a whole lot of trash, that you need to weed thru, to find that one golden file.

For the price, Lightburn is a very good piece of software. Lightburn doesn't have connections to some of the pluses on my P2 (Cameras/auto focus/etc). Since the D1 doesn't have these, it should work OK.
I probably have over 20 years using Vectric Aspire for creating and editing. I export to SVG and import that into XCS for lasering on the xTool P2.

I have gotten some files from MakeCNC.com - I have to edit/correct many things in every file.
When I informed them of their errors and even sent them the corrected files. They stated that they would give me 3 free files. When I ask for those "free" files. I never got any response.
Plus, if you browse the web enough. You will find many of their "pay for" drawings are posted on other sites for free.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User

Just might spark something.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Ameede.com and 3axis.co have a lot of vector files. You want dxf files. You can convert cdr files using a free online converter.

Working from image files is a bit trickier. Most can be done, but I’ve run into a few that you just couldn‘t filter out well.

You can engrave on lots of things - wood, cork, slate.

Cutting is where the different lasers separate. Obviously more power means faster cutting and thicker material.

Lightburn is by far the best program to use and it’s graphics design features are robust.

Louisiana Hobby Guy is a great source for Lightburn as well as Lightburn itself. Both have forums you can get a lot of help from.

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt I am considering adding a laser engraver to my shop. Let me know how you like the unit.
Scott,
I absolutely love the unit. Machining precision is extremely good and assembly was as easy as it comes. I was making coasters within 15 minutes of assembly. My only limit now is my creativity and imagination.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Scott,
I absolutely love the unit. Machining precision is extremely good and assembly was as easy as it comes. I was making coasters within 15 minutes of assembly. My only limit now is my creativity and imagination.
Price as delivered?
bobby g

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
FYI ... I have an affiliate code for xTool. I know it will get you a $500 discount on the P2. I am not sure how much/if any on other xTool stuff.
If you use my affiliate code, you can still use any/all coupons offered by xtool ... so you don't lose anything by using my code.

Let me know, by PM, if you want it.

Matt got his machine for a really good price.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Xtool is a good unit, but it was the most expensive when I was looking. A little overpriced IMO, but it’s the nicest looking unit and I’ve heard tech support is the best.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Xtool, but came across the Ortur LaserMaster 3 on sale and went with it. I’ve been very happy with it (past the update process), but I’m not the techiest person either. Tech support is good. Through the nozzle air assist is nice. As of yet, I haven’t had to clean the lens. Cuts most 3 mm ply 350mm/min @ 100%.

If I were buying one today and planned on doing a lot of cutting, whichever one I bought I’d go with a 20W if at all possible.

Black Friday 20W LaserMaster3 + air assist $899. Worth considering…..probably can’t beat his $500 off deal.

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Right now it is $699 but I know I paid less back when there was a prime days special.

Billm0066

New User
Bill
I bought a xtool s1 a few weeks ago. 40 watt. Haven’t used it yet because I’m remodeling my shop with 19 cabinets. Taking longer than I hoped. First laser so hoping it goes well.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
When did they get so expensive? I paid $300 for a lasermaster 2 "20 watt" a few years back...
Check whether that 20 watts is *input power* or *output power* :)

>7 w output diode lasers are a relatively recent development in the consumer space.

-Mark

Echd

C
User
Check whether that 20 watts is *input power* or *output power* :)

>7 w output diode lasers are a relatively recent development in the consumer space.

-Mark

I'm aware. I have a jtech 24w that cost closer to $1300. I still don't trust the listed output of most less expensive Chinese diodes.
I'm not sure if any >6 W diodes exist for visible lasers like these. All the manufacturers are at the most just slaving multiples together.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS