Large Oak Trees

Bonanza

New User
David
I have 5 large oak trees that need to come down. I would be a shame just to cut up the wood and haul it away vs being used in some productive way. I called a forester and he didn't think any logger would be interested. Anybody have any ideas for a tree cutter in the Randolph County area that could make use of the wood?

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Click on the resources tab at the top of the page and there is a list of sawyers by region.

Echd

C
User
Reading between the lines a bit, I doubt you are going to find a sawyer willing to do it just for the lumber. If you wanted to have the lumber processed and attempt to sell it to recoup the costs of removal, that may be an option.

Bonanza

New User
David
Thanks for the resource mention. I'd forgot about it

I don't mind paying to have the trees removed, just a shame to have it all turned into mulch.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Agree with above. Even if the trees are desireable types and you hire a sawyer to saw them up you will need to have an area to stack, sticker, cover and dry.
Most trees in residential areas don't grow close enough together to get significant straight, branch free trunks to be desireable for lumber. Yours may but most trees we see that are beautiful, spreading, majestic specimens aren't the best for lumber.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Something else about residential trees that the sawyers I know speak to, is the metal content in them. There can be all sorts of things found deep in a tree from years gone by... sawyers tell me the don't like "yard trees" due to the metal and what it does to their bandsaws.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Sounds like an "urban sawmill" program/resource is a gap and would be nice to know if could be a decent business case for one wanting to create slabs/lumber for sale. I know Matt Cremona has built his business doing exactly this in MN but would be nice to have someone like this in our area.

I will be clearing my property (wooded not yard trees) in a couple years to build and have found it very difficult to figure out how to keep these nice white oaks, maples, etc from the burn pile. In the end material handling seems to be the toughest piece...how to get a several thousand pound log onto a trailer to be hauled somewhere and milled up then dried properly. Even if you hire a portable sawyer to come out to your property material handling is still an issue...finding someone to get said logs moved into a pile after being cut then moved from the pile onto the sawmill. Then even if you get them milled up it seems no one wants to help get them dried at all (at least in the Piedmont Triad area). However, I've heard about Scott of Whispering Pines Farm and need to talk to him as well.

I'm seriously considering building a free standing lean-to/wood storage shelter but getting all of the logs from quite a few nice lumber-worthy trees to a sawmill and then dried if what I've been researching. I've talked to many sawyers no one seems to fit the overall need that is common to situations as mine and the OP.

Oh and carbide blades are no match for metal in trees and while higher initial cost they are cheaper in the long run from what I've seen but the smaller portable sawyers & small local sawmills are not investing in them yet.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
CALL SAWMILL JACK ON the resources page.He is located in Louisburg 919 669 1859 tell him custom carpentry gave you his info

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Large? just how big a diameter are you talking about? Scott Smith might be interested if >36".

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
As mentioned Scott Smith specializes in large Oak Trees. If he's interested, he can cut them, haul them, and process the wood and kiln dry it. He has a website at quartersawnoak.com.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
David - I just got into portable sawmilling a month ago when my mill finally arrived. I've done a lot of research. I'm a little too far away to come mill your trees, but if you were closer, I would definitely do it. You should be able to find a portable sawyer to do it, but it may take a little searching. I have a Lucas swing blade mill and I only saw at the customer's site. (This is my niche, I hope) In my area, most all the bandsaw guys don't ever want to move their mills. I only know of one sawyer in my area that will and it has to be a big job for him to do it. With the bandsaw mills, most guys have built a nice shed to cover their mill and have all the auxiliary equipment at their fingertips. In Virginia, the other deterrent to moving a bandsaw mill is that you have to get it tagged and have a yearly safety inspection done. If you have a means to load and haul the logs, you'll have a much larger pool of sawyers to choose from.

If you do get someone to come on site to mill, most likely they will expect you to have the logs staged on a level site for them, where they can basically use a can't hook to roll them over to their mill. The two big reasons are: 1) It's tough to tow a bandmill and a skid steer/tractor in the same trip. 2) Insurance - I found out that the insurance people do not want you to log or cut down trees as a sawyer. Every agency that knew anything about sawmilling asked me first thing if I was going to be moving logs or cutting trees. I didn't ask, but I'm sure either one of those would have doubled or tripled my premiums assuming they would even insure me at all for those.

You can definitely dry that lumber at your property even without a shed. You can build a solid platform off the ground, weight or strap the lumber and cover that with a piece of metal roofing. It can also help to get some nursery shade netting to cover any of the stack that is directly exposed to the sun.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I thought I had posted this yesterday!

You might be able to find some of the sawyers or loggers that will come to you by looking on FB marketplace for folks advertising slabs.

Craig C

New User
Craig
Just picked up some cherry slabs that Scott Smith dried for me. Good guy and reasonable prices.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Thanks for the resource mention. I'd forgot about it

I don't mind paying to have the trees removed, just a shame to have it all turned into mulch.

Hey, I'd chip in for the firewood! How many miles are you from Lenoir, NC?

I heat my home with a fireplace!

If the trees are close to a structure - a pro is needed. If far enough away and a decent lean, a Husky 555 will likely do. Cleanup is a bear if you can't burn on site.

But, managed, you should be able to trade the good size 'fire wood' for cleanup!

Joe Dickinson

New User
Joe
Last year I did the same for some ash and oak, using a sawyer with a portable bandsaw here in the Winston Salem area, and it was done on my property. Clean up was a bear, as was stickering/stacking, which is not part of the service provided. Nice guy, works with his son who runs the loader to move the logs/lumber around. I don't know how far he is willing to go, but you could ask:
Ken Elliott
w 3362519998
c 3367490706
kenelliott@triad.rr.com

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS