Laptop Desk Plans...Has anyone ever built one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Hey Folks,
I have the need to build or buy a laptop desk that can be used in bed.
My 7 yo daughter broke her leg while we were at Wrightsville this past weekend. She will be in a cast from toe to 4" from the hip for 4-6 weeks.
Then after that in a knee high cast for 8-10 weeks.
I need to build a multifunction desk that she can use to keep up with school work, use the laptop and use it to support a book.

I am looking to build a multifunction desk that can have a flip up to change the angle of the top or support a book or homework for reading.
I also want a storage area for pencils. I need to have flip down legs to clear her cast and legs.

I know.....I'm not asking for much.

I have ideas of what I can build but pictures of what you've made or plans you've seen would help me in my sleep deprived state.
Last night was my first full night of sleep since Saturday so I feel I will not be a danger in the shop because of sleep deprivation.

Any Ideas on what I can do to keep a 7yo occupied would be useful too!

Thanks,
Ron

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Traditional laptop desks are boxes with sloped tops and storage for pencils and paper inside. There are also laptop desks that are nothing more than a piece of 1/4 " Baltic Birch with rounded corners, maybe a handle hole on the sides, and sometimes a beanbag type cushion attached to the bottom so it molds to the users legs and is more comfortable. I haven't seen any plans for any with legs, but there are special tables available for those who wish to have breakfast in bed that have fold up legs. Maybe a combination of these ideas would be what you are looking for. The Lowes website has a plan for the flat Baltic Birch version http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/LapDesk.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavTools .
The sloped version with storage www.ibiblio.org/twa/plans/plans/shakerlapdesk.pdf
Or this one
dave-beach.tripod.com/thomas_jefferson_lap_desk.htm
Or you might try to make one similar to this http://www.lapdawg.com/gallery/breakfast-tray/pages/breakfast-tray-1.html

There are many other plans and photos available via Google. Search for "lap desk plan" or "breakfast in bed table" and you should find many possibilities.

Charley

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Thanks for the links. I was looking for something to keep the weight off of her legs.
I did find a few examples that I like.
This is what I'm looking for. I may end up buying instead of building.
Time constraints and a high maintenance patient are keeping me out of the shop.
http://downunderchicago.com/op-the-bed-desk.html
Ron

I built one of those for my Dad. I designed and sized it using the rough dimensions and picture from the web site. By the time you buy the four hinges (I used strips of piano hinge), the support arm, and the wood (I used 1/2" oak ply and trimmed it with some walnut- all of which I had laying around) it might just be easier to buy one. If you make one, make sure you include the leg cutouts, otherwise it will be too heavy, even so it was a little heavy.

LD-3.JPG

LD-4.JPG

LD-1.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
On poor Katie, what a crappy way to spend the summer. Tell her Ava said hi, and she is sorry for her. I would have to agree with Alan, by the time you buy the material, hardware and finish supplies not to mention the time in the shop you would be better off dropping $80 and being done with it.

Dave:)

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
I found a nice (for plastic) plastic laptop/work desk at Bed Bath and Beyond.
I was looking for a "Husband" pillow for a backrest so Katie could keep up with her school work. There in the aisle was a $25 unit that will work great....it even has a light.
Alan, I like that desk. It's just like the one I was looking at online (except for the walnut trim). When I have gotten throught this experience I think I'll build one.

Thanks for the input,
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS